Joining the club, 1440G9 Lathe

Brucepts

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Picked up a Central Machinery 1440G9 lathe this weekend. Circa 1998

Started cleaning it up and getting it ready for service . . . I added the 6-jaw chuck, had it sitting around for years didn't fit my old 19x48" Hendey Cone Head. Glad I kept it around and didn't sell it!

Came with a 6" 3 jaw, 10" 4 jaw, face plate, steady and follower rests. Will probably modify the stand sometime not to keen on the 3 legged setup. Would like to add a taper attachment (not a priority) and a 5C Lever Collet Chuck if I can find something from another model 1440 that could be modified.

Anybody else have this model?

CM 1440G9.jpg

You will probably find that many of the Chinese lathes in that era are made in the same factory. See if on the name plate or somewhere on it is the country of origin. It could be Taiwan, a number of them were. I have an enco lathe circa 2000 lathat looks similar but with a norton box.

Fun lathe, definitely get it on a proper stand, they do tend to get vibrations from the motor.

Good luck

Made in Taiwan, Chiu Ting Machinery Co. Ltd Inspect Date: 1998

From here it's looks very similar to my '98 Birmingham, especially the carriage.
The gear levers on the head stock are in different positions though.
Switch panel is the same.

From here it's looks very similar to my '98 Birmingham, especially the carriage.
The gear levers on the head stock are in different positions though.
Switch panel is the same.

Any pictures of your lathe?

Right after I got it out of storage that I had it sitting in for several months after purchase.
Gotta love how it is labeled 'Hight' for High Gear.
I replaced the Power Switch and Emergency Stop with Allen-Bradley switches.
P1040330.JPGP1040331.JPGP1040329.JPG

That’s a lotta lathe on a 3 legged table... doesn’t look heavy duty enough.

That’s a lotta lathe on a 3 legged table... doesn’t look heavy duty enough.

It's in my plans to add some additional supports, musta worked ok for the previous owner though. I'm going to keep the shelf space and I have some drawers I think will add.

I was going to add, the first thing that scared me was seeing this sitting on a 3-legged support.... really worries me a lot. I know the head part is the most heaviest- but still....

Doesn't look like it would take much to lay it down, huh? Lol.
If it were my lathe and my luck I'd fall into it somehow, it would teeter to the rear then swing back and fall forward doing something like crushing my legs or something else terrible. Haha.

Back