Joining the club, 1440G9 Lathe

If it were my lathe and my luck I'd fall into it somehow,

Probably by having that tiny piece of emory cloth grab ahold of your fingers a little too quick, followed by getting your arm wrapped around the chuck, and during the fight of man vs machine... the entire lathe tips and falls on you while trying to get away- just to add more insult to your injuries.

hahaha. if youre using emery cloth like this, then youre doing it wrong.
rope.jpg

Sadly, I've been forced to watch 50 Shades & Darker... but no, I've never understood THAT kind of emery cloth bondage... Not that I have anything against BDSM. Whatever floats someone's boat I suppose :p

On a vanilla tone of things, I am thinking on buying a benchtop buffer machine, as I really want to minimize danger polishing/buffing directly on a rotating lathe. Honestly, one little catch of cloth is all it takes to cause a big accident, especially at the speeds I see people trying these operations on.

To derail your polishing machine plan, I've done more potential dammage to myself on polishing machines than the lathe.
I used to work for a small company who repaired surgical instruments. After repairing a towel clamp
clamp.jpg

yes, those points are as sharp as they look.
i was trying to touch up the brushed look in the throat on a cloth abrasive wheel. i leaned over to get eye level with the wheel to just to touch the wheel precisely. i had a weird feeling, stood up, went and got my safety glasses. came back, repositioned myself and the second i touched the clamp to the wheel one of the points grabbed the side of the cloth wheel, ripped it from my hands, did a 360 around the wheel and ejected it directly into my glasses. lol. left a sizable dent/chip in my glasses. terrified, i sat back down at my bench and took a breather for a moment. that funny feeling i got? who the heck knows... but it definitely saved my right eye, no question. haha
the grinders were mounted infront of vacuum hoods. i dont know how many instruments i lose down the blower chute because the wheel took it from my hands.
we used a lot of silicon carbide wheels cause the clamps of needle holders are carbide inserts.
premier-mayo-hegar-needle-holder-tungsten-carbide-insert-9085151.jpgtungsten-carbide-inserts-for-needle-holders-tips.jpg

we always did a ring test, but when youre going through a 5/8" wheel a week, your odds of having a fly apart are high. we had common practice to stand to the side and start the wheel and walk away for 5 minutes. every so often, BAAAM, clang, clunk, doink. a chunk of a wheel would come walking, bouncing, out of the grinding room across the shop floor.

sorry for the thread hijack, bruce.

Back