Jotul F3 resurrection

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
A good friend of mine offered me an old Jotul F3 stove that was in pretty poor condition. I have always wanted one so
was happy to have the opportunity to have one even though it was in bad shape. It looks to have been overheated at
some point in time and was need a lot of TLC. The secondary burn chamber was all but cooked and the stove had
signs of serious overheating. I reworked the secondary burn part but failed to take any photos but that part is now
working just fine. Also it was missing a few parts but by friend was able to come up some broken parts that I could
make whole again. The piece I repaired today was a part that holds a log in place to keep it in the stove. The part was missing
some material in the middle so machined part of an old disc brake to the rough dimensions, With a little help from
my gas torch and a few piston rings used as welding rod, the stove is now in pretty usable shape.

P1020626.JPG
This photo shows my repair of the front log holder that was missing a couple inches of material. I machined part of an old disc
brake to the rough dimensions and gas welded it into position. I did a lot of peening on the work to help the material from forming a crack.

P1020631.JPG
Having finished the welding, I installed the piece and started a fire for a good smoke test. Its seemingly working fine with no problem so
am happy with the results. Also I had to replace the ceramic glass in the stove as someone had broken it and rendered the stove unusable.
All's well that ends well I guess and it's happy in it's new little abode. I have to say Jotul is one efficient stove!

Also I have to give an honorable mention to Peninsula Glass of Vancouver, Washington as the service was stellar and
their heat treated glass excellent. I placed my order on Friday afternoon and the glass arrived on Monday Morning!
Also I was quite pleased with FEDEX!

Back