Joy Stick Front Rest

bretthl

Registered
Registered
I've been shooting some F-Class using a bi-pod and rear bag and decided I could compete better with a good solid front rest. I worked this up over the past couple of months. All stainless with the exception of the rack and gears. The base (SS 2507, a drop of oportunity) was cut by a local shop that specializes in water jet. I pressed brass inserts and tapped for the leveling adjustments because I could not move a 1/2" tap through 2507.

P1010215.resized.JPG

P1010218.resized.JPG

P1010217.resized.JPG

Slick! That came out nice. Is the joystick only for lateral, or is it tied in to the vertical adjustment?

GsT

Slick! That came out nice. Is the joystick only for lateral, or is it tied in to the vertical adjustment?

GsT
Thank you. Yes it does elevation too. The rack gears are on a continuous shaft. The center block rotates about that shaft for about 12 ft vertical at 1000 yds.

Front Rest.jpg

That is very nice! I have wanted to build a rest for a long time, but it's been back burnered for a while now because getting to a proper 600 or 1000 range is a two-day affair due to my location. It's been all competitive pistol all the time because bay ranges are all over the place.

I agree about needing the equipment to stay competitive, and that is what really bums me out about F-class. I think F/TR is great because the bipod in prone is a requirement, forcing those skills into play. I am a sling shooter, so the bipod is an easy transition. But .308 is a lousy choice for long range. And there's the rub. Change to a better caliber, and you're out of TR classification. Competition in F has become bench rest shooting that you do lying down. Hence the need for a machine rest. People like it, but I wish the NRA would open different divisions so that people can compete in their niche instead of having to go with only F class prone benchrest or F/TR sniper wannabee class. F and long range high power used to be my thing, but it's been several years, what do you think?

Got any more drawings? :beer mugs:

That is very nice! I have wanted to build a rest for a long time, but it's been back burnered for a while now because getting to a proper 600 or 1000 range is a two-day affair due to my location. It's been all competitive pistol all the time because bay ranges are all over the place.

I agree about needing the equipment to stay competitive, and that is what really bums me out about F-class. I think F/TR is great because the bipod in prone is a requirement, forcing those skills into play. I am a sling shooter, so the bipod is an easy transition. But .308 is a lousy choice for long range. And there's the rub. Change to a better caliber, and you're out of TR classification. Competition in F has become bench rest shooting that you do lying down. Hence the need for a machine rest. People like it, but I wish the NRA would open different divisions so that people can compete in their niche instead of having to go with only F class prone benchrest or F/TR sniper wannabee class. F and long range high power used to be my thing, but it's been several years, what do you think?

Got any more drawings? :beer mugs:

Thank you John. I agree with what you are saying. If you want to compete in an F-TR match under NRA rules then 308 and 223 are the only options and those calibers at 1000 yards are a challenge. NRA high power I suppose is another option but there no optics are permitted, sling only and it must be a service rifle.

I'll pdf my drawings soon. I have to go back and revise dimensions and clean them up. You know how changes on the bench work their way in.

Wow! Drawings would be great! (Apparently I'll have a new project on the list soon...)

WRT competition, ya gotta take what you can get. There's no perfect category in any shooting sport. As soon as you add equipment limitations, you start cutting off some reasonable changes. Make a class for everyone, and no-one will be shooting in the same class. Anyone who has tried to set up a 'roll your own' discipline quickly learns why the existing disciplines are as they are. Pick a division and enjoy it for what it is.

GsT

Wow! Drawings would be great! (Apparently I'll have a new project on the list soon...)

WRT competition, ya gotta take what you can get. There's no perfect category in any shooting sport. As soon as you add equipment limitations, you start cutting off some reasonable changes. Make a class for everyone, and no-one will be shooting in the same class. Anyone who has tried to set up a 'roll your own' discipline quickly learns why the existing disciplines are as they are. Pick a division and enjoy it for what it is.

GsT

I'm still working on cleaning up the drawings. It has taken longer to work out the design and drawings than it to build!

I think this is why there are so many of us that *want* to use CAD for everything, but end up resorting (or reverting) to pencil-CAD. It takes a fair amount of practice and regular use to become as fast with software...

GsT

Here are the drawings for all interested. Corrections or questions please reply in this post.

Attachments

• Joy Stick Coaxial Front Rest.pdf
    593.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Base.dwg
    22.9 KB · Views: 18
I've been shooting some F-Class using a bi-pod and rear bag and decided I could compete better with a good solid front rest. I worked this up over the past couple of months. All stainless with the exception of the rack and gears. The base (SS 2507, a drop of oportunity) was cut by a local shop that specializes in water jet. I pressed brass inserts and tapped for the leveling adjustments because I could not move a 1/2" tap through 2507.

View attachment 425495

View attachment 425496

View attachment 425497
Beautiful job!
Please post some results

Back