Just a simple mold . G job .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Since I now have 87 cans of mold release , I need a mold ! :grin: Not having a need for one I had to think up something that I use often . Only thing I came up with is felling wedges for the tree work lately . I whipped out a fast cheapy split cavity mold in a hour but didn't have to purge any of the extruders tonight , so no wedges made tonight . I'll post a quick pic when I get home in the morning . :)

Like I said , simple and effective . I extrude 100s of pounds of plastic per night to the scrap bin so it's free . :)

Attachments

• IMG_8352.JPG
    IMG_8352.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8353.JPG
    IMG_8353.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8354.JPG
    IMG_8354.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
Damn, I just bought a 6-pack of 'em!

What, no teeth?

Damn, I just bought a 6-pack of 'em!

What, no teeth?
Lol, where's the teeth ? I just made 3 of these wedges , not the prettiest in the forest but hey , they'll do the job ! :grin:

:dunno:I'll give them a try , who knows . They might just work , and if not , they'll light up the fire when they flash ! :big grin:

Attachments

• IMG_8357.JPG
    IMG_8357.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8358.JPG
    IMG_8358.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
Teeth on the flat faces to keep the wedge from being pushed back out. Yours have a steeper angle than most, which may compound this tendency.
1632842006190.png

What material are they made from?

I just use a cast iron splitting wedge when I need to keep a cut open. I've used them for decades and haven't hit any of them with my chainsaw yet. When I first saw plastic wedges, I wondered, "now how is this going to split any log?"

I just use a cast iron splitting wedge when I need to keep a cut open. I've used them for decades and haven't hit any of them with my chainsaw yet. When I first saw plastic wedges, I wondered, "now how is this going to split any log?"
A metal splitting wedge is fine when bucking to keep the kerf open and prevent pinching the bar, except for its tendency to fall and hit the chain when the log drops. When felling I set a wedge as soon as the kerf is deep enough to allow it, particularly on smaller diameter trees. My felling wedges are consumables and they show it.

Back