Just About Reached The Limits Of My Tormach 770

09kevin

Forum Guest
Register Today
I machined a mounting plate for a friend who is putting a Jaguar rear end in a 68 Mustang. The stock size was 12 x 18 so I had to machine it in 4 operations, fortunately there were holes and slots I could dial in and pick up for my X and Y locations.

024.JPG
025.JPG

028.JPG

032.JPG

039.JPG

Kevin

Very nice work Kevin, and I'm not just saying that because it's going in a Mustang. :grin: Mike

Soon after I got my Tormach 770, I drilled and reamed 3/16" dowel pin holes on a 3 x 4 array. The x direction spacing was 5.000" and the y direction spacing was 2.200". I then drilled and reamed a secondary fixture plate with the same pattern. The reason for doing this was that I had to machine some oversized parts that were irregular in shape and therefore were not easily located on the mill table. The fixture plate could be relocated or even flipped end for end with the part still located on the plate. This permitted me to move the workpiece into the machining envelope to machine those areas which were originally outside the envelope without losing my part registration.

Not to throw this topic off course, but why did he swap out the Ford rear for a Jaguar unit? More suitable gear ratio? Blown OEM and he had it handy? What Jag did it come from?

I'm watching a family friend rebuild a 68 Jag E-type coupe (Series 1.5). It's been great to watch, should be painted next summer.

Nice work on your fixture plate!

Not to throw this topic off course, but why did he swap out the Ford rear for a Jaguar unit? More suitable gear ratio? Blown OEM and he had it handy? What Jag did it come from?

I'm watching a family friend rebuild a 68 Jag E-type coupe (Series 1.5). It's been great to watch, should be painted next summer.

Sorry Andre, I don't really know the answer to any of your questions. He did say he liked the inboard brakes on the Jaguar rear end.

Very nice work Kevin, and I'm not just saying that because it's going in a Mustang. :grin: Mike

I am with you on that. But going it to a mustang is just icing on the cake. It helps ford did have the Jag for a time. :laughing:

Probably for the independent rear suspension instead of the straight axle. Road race types like that sort of thing, especialy in classes without a lot of horsepower. Straight axles are better for high horsepower acceleration, as they can be set up to lift the rear of the car somewhat, applying more downward force to the tires at the moment of acceleration.

Back