Just acquired a Clausing 6300 lathe

Choiliefan

Registered
Registered
For the past few months I'd been wondering about this lathe, situated under a lean-to surrounded by some farm machinery maybe 30' off a road leading to my brother's house. My brother spotted it as well one day and stopped in to inquire about it and was told he could have it for free. Owner said he would help load it as soon as his Mahindra tractor (with forks) was repaired. Well, last Saturday we loaded it up and brought it to my house where we dropped it in the yard with the gantry crane without mishap.

As soon as it was on the ground, the sky opened up with big drops of rain so I scrambled to find some plastic as a cover. Well, it rained hard for the next four days so I couldn't get out and bond with my new acquisition. Bummer...

Been biding my time poring over everything I could find on these lathes and am very impressed with the engineering that went into it. Headstock has an oil pump and the quick change and apron gearings are bathed in oil. Very much looking forward to see what's under all the gunk and schmutz. A quick once-over shows the tailstock is the (missing) lever type which seems a plus to me, the thread dial is MIA as is the entire drive to the spindle. :) All the rest of the basic things are there including what appears to be an L00 8" Buck chuck.

Plan is is delve into, clean and assess what we have and if feasible adapt another drive to it. Wish I had more to show but it's very wet here. That's a magnetic plastic shield holding the base door closed.

IMG_0233 (1).jpgIMG_0232.jpg

Perfect opportunity to upgrade the motor and drive- great score
-Mark

Very cool. I have been looking at getting a Clausing 6307 with a taper attachment. I am pretty sure it is basically the same as yours but I am not sure. Do you know where to find any info on these machines?

Can't wait to see the 'unveiling'. :grin:
What a score.

How cool is a score like that!
New lathe day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man....nice score. Give me a picture without the plastic. SPRAY IT WITH WD-40...and you’re good to go. FWIW, My lathe looked like pure crap. I bought it from a scrapper who got it after the Katrina flood. And my bed is still real good. Sat out unprotected when I got it and the hardened bed had no pits whatsoever.

Attachments

• 033F9DF4-E851-43A6-BBAA-D5DEE75E5D54.jpeg
    033F9DF4-E851-43A6-BBAA-D5DEE75E5D54.jpeg
    959.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 26EFC5B0-56A8-4036-B46F-67DAD6245395.jpeg
    26EFC5B0-56A8-4036-B46F-67DAD6245395.jpeg
    970.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 75E678D8-FC68-4519-AA95-779A2812850F.jpeg
    75E678D8-FC68-4519-AA95-779A2812850F.jpeg
    834.6 KB · Views: 50
Can't beat a Clausing.
It's amazing the abuse these machines can take, with a little elbow grease they are ready for another generation.

Update pleeese with photos attached...

Wow, that's quite a transformation.
How's it perform?

Back