Just acquired a Clausing 6300 lathe

Janderso.... my Clausing is just fantastic in my opinion. The motor had bad bearings when I got it. Katrina water only submerged the motor. I did change the Delrin bushing in the Var-drive sheave and rebuilt the two hydraulic cylinders. But that’s about it. All in all it’s amazing in my opinion. I can easily hold within 1/2 thousanths when I have a tailstock support. And finish on parts like a mirror. And I love the controls. Really like having the clutch which disengages the drive system without turning off the motor. Changing the vari-drive Delrin bushing is simple I would never do away with my Vari-drive. A lot of people put VFD’s on these Clausings but personally I would do everything possible to keep your lathe original. The Clausing has a nice control system in my opinion.
My South Bend 9” just doesn’t compare. I absolutely love my Clausing.

Last edited:
By the way.... I noticed you have a tailstock too. That’s a good score because lots of these Clausings seem to be missing the tailstocks. They had turrets and I’m guessing the tailstock just got separated at some point.

No, I didn't look up the specific model number but most that are missing the tailstocks were probably ordered as turret lathes and never had a regular tailstock in the first place.

Back