Just added a 101.21200 to my shop out west

I saw that one, thank you for removing temptation. :grin:

Can you post a picture of what the woodruff key at the very front of the spindle looks like, its the one that holds the direct drive coupling in place

See my reply to your other post.

BB-,

I think that I would consider the front of the spindle the right end, where the chuck goes. But I would refer to the end where one of the keys goes as the left end rather than the rear.

In any case, the direct drive coupling is retained on the spindle by an external circlip or external snap ring. The piece that keeps the coupling from spinning on the spindle is a Woodruff key, specifically a #404. It is about 1/2" long by 1/8" thick by 3/16" high.

I can't seem to find a photo of a Woodruff key, but go to https://www.mcmaster.com/woodruff-keys. In the upper left of the screen will be a side view and an isometric drawing of one.

Any tips on getting the spindle back gear off? I have the collar off but it doesn't want to budge and I don't have my good pullers out here. Also kinda wary of breaking the gear.

John

I'm also looking for cross slide and compound handles if anyone has extras. And the tumbler plunger pin too.

The parts drawing shows 2 #10-24 set screws in that area. Confirm that they were both in the collar and not one of them in the back gear. Other than that, there does not appear to be any other reason for the gear not to come off other than that it is just stuck to the spindle and woodruff key by dis-use. Try moving the spindle an eighth of an inch or less in the direction of the tailstock, That should be enough movement to free up the gear and not enough to run the key into the bearing.

Best way in which to pull the spindle is to make up a spindle remover set. You will need a length of 1/2" UNF all-thread through the spindle and receiver tube,, some half inch nuts and washers. a piece of pipe or mechanical tubing (the receiver tube) with an ID just larger than the OD of the bearings. and an end-plate for the right end with about 1/2" ID and with an OD the same as that of the receiver tube. Assemble that in place and move the spindle just slightly. I would guess that would free up the gear. Remove it, remove the Woodruff key, and finish pulling the spindle.

Yes, two set screws both in the collar. The spindle doesn't want to budge with the methods I've tried so far, I'll have to look into building a puller.

Thanks,

John

Got the spindle out this afternoon, strapped her down and went to town with my trusty Harbor Freight deadblow....

spinless.jpeg

spindlewchuck.jpeg

More PB blaster and I'll see if I can get the chuck free....

John

Do you have any Kroil?
I’ve always found it to be super effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back