[4]

Just bought a 3 axis DRO for my PM-25MV

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pcmaker

Registered
Can't wait to get it. It's a bit expensive (to me) at $475. It's a 3 axis DRO and I had to email the seller for custom lengths. Y axis is 8 inches, X axis is 22 inches, Z axis is 14 inches. I was going to buy it from Precision Matthews, but they were out of stock on this specification for my mill. I hope I won't have any problems installing it. Anyone else bought this specific DRO before?

Also, do I install the X axis slide on the front of the table or behind?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K52J7L6

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Either front or back works. I went with the back as my table had some stuff in the front. It does limit travel a little, about 1/2 inch, but not enough to cause a problem for me.

Pcmaker

Registered
Trying to remember where the zero is manually with the graduated collar is almost impossible for me. Especially with the backlash.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Front or back mounting is the subject for a whole 'nother debate. I prefer back (on full size BP type mills) because it is less likely to be damaged and leaves the front T-slot clear for clamping parts vertically. On smaller machines, the loss of travel may be important and dictate front mounting.

Pcmaker

Registered
How hard is it to install this dro? It's out for delivery and I should get it sometime this afternoon.

bss1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I just installed a 3 axis Easson DRO on my Millrite. It was no easy task as only one of the three axis (X) had a flat surface to mount the scales to. The Y and Z axis were sloping, curved, and/or angled. It took a while to figure out how to overcome these issues. Once I had a plan, it went along well and fairly quickly. I mounted the X axis on the back of the table. The front had the stops for the powerfeed in the way. This machine doesn’t have a lot of travel in the Y axis to begin with. However, as my vise hangs over the back of my table slightly more than the width of the scale, I didn’t really loose any more useful travel.

It was a fun project. Take your time and it will turn out well.

Pcmaker

Registered
DRO just came in. This is gonna be complicated.

RockingJ

Registered
Yes, it will be complicated! I’m working on mounting one on my Hardinge mill and then I need to do one on my Logan lathe. It’s taking forever, since I keep coming up with projects!

Pcmaker

Registered
I shoulda ponied up the money when I bought my mill and had them install it.

RockingJ

Registered
Figuring how to mount the scales is the toughest part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pcmaker

Registered
Has anyone come across this before? The DRO manual doesn't mention this at all. It's the red plastic insert with 4 screws. I took it out because otherwise, the DRO won't be able to move.

mksj

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
They are used for shipping to retain the reader so it does not get damaged, they are removed when you install the scale. I usually leave them in place to get the brackets setup, fine tune the sweep with a test indicator and then install the scales, remove the retainers and double check their alignment in all directions per the manual.

Because your lathe is smaller, on the X axis scale you may want to mount it in the front of the table as opposed to the rear. There are pros and cons to the front and back, but on smaller mills mounting the scale with shield you can loose about 1.25" of travel. Also as others have mentioned, figuring out how to mount the scales and reader is the biggest hurdle. So might see if someone with a factory install can post pictures of their mill.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-25-dro-install.55624/#post-585771

Attachments

Last edited:

Pcmaker

Registered
I got done with the X axis DRO and I mounted it in the back. Mounting it on the front was a seemingly impossible task.

I'm working on the Y axis now. I think this will be the hardest of the three DROs.

Pcmaker

Registered
Finally done. How important is it to indicate the DRO slides? I didn't even bother to do it.

[6]
[5] [7]