Just bought a 3 axis DRO for my PM-25MV

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
Can't wait to get it. It's a bit expensive (to me) at $475. It's a 3 axis DRO and I had to email the seller for custom lengths. Y axis is 8 inches, X axis is 22 inches, Z axis is 14 inches. I was going to buy it from Precision Matthews, but they were out of stock on this specification for my mill. I hope I won't have any problems installing it. Anyone else bought this specific DRO before?

Also, do I install the X axis slide on the front of the table or behind?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K52J7L6

51ni%2B4PKYkL.jpg

Either front or back works. I went with the back as my table had some stuff in the front. It does limit travel a little, about 1/2 inch, but not enough to cause a problem for me.

Trying to remember where the zero is manually with the graduated collar is almost impossible for me. Especially with the backlash.

Front or back mounting is the subject for a whole 'nother debate. I prefer back (on full size BP type mills) because it is less likely to be damaged and leaves the front T-slot clear for clamping parts vertically. On smaller machines, the loss of travel may be important and dictate front mounting.

How hard is it to install this dro? It's out for delivery and I should get it sometime this afternoon.

I just installed a 3 axis Easson DRO on my Millrite. It was no easy task as only one of the three axis (X) had a flat surface to mount the scales to. The Y and Z axis were sloping, curved, and/or angled. It took a while to figure out how to overcome these issues. Once I had a plan, it went along well and fairly quickly. I mounted the X axis on the back of the table. The front had the stops for the powerfeed in the way. This machine doesn’t have a lot of travel in the Y axis to begin with. However, as my vise hangs over the back of my table slightly more than the width of the scale, I didn’t really loose any more useful travel.

It was a fun project. Take your time and it will turn out well.

Yes, it will be complicated! I’m working on mounting one on my Hardinge mill and then I need to do one on my Logan lathe. It’s taking forever, since I keep coming up with projects!

Figuring how to mount the scales is the toughest part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back