Just bought a 3 axis DRO for my PM-25MV

Has anyone come across this before? The DRO manual doesn't mention this at all. It's the red plastic insert with 4 screws. I took it out because otherwise, the DRO won't be able to move.

j95JF1u.jpg

They are used for shipping to retain the reader so it does not get damaged, they are removed when you install the scale. I usually leave them in place to get the brackets setup, fine tune the sweep with a test indicator and then install the scales, remove the retainers and double check their alignment in all directions per the manual.

Because your lathe is smaller, on the X axis scale you may want to mount it in the front of the table as opposed to the rear. There are pros and cons to the front and back, but on smaller mills mounting the scale with shield you can loose about 1.25" of travel. Also as others have mentioned, figuring out how to mount the scales and reader is the biggest hurdle. So might see if someone with a factory install can post pictures of their mill.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-25-dro-install.55624/#post-585771

Attachments

• Sino DRO Scale Install Manual.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I got done with the X axis DRO and I mounted it in the back. Mounting it on the front was a seemingly impossible task.

I'm working on the Y axis now. I think this will be the hardest of the three DROs.

Finally done. How important is it to indicate the DRO slides? I didn't even bother to do it.

2wfsQay.jpg

RZoS9ZK.jpg

CItEqpJ.jpg

Back