Just bought a Clausing 8540 for $250!!

You really hit the big one! More pics when you get it going!

Just a quick question what are your thought on the mill, i just bought one and picking it up in a few days didn't get as good a deal as you but a very clean machine from the first owner who used it for woodworking.

Nice buy Mastiff. I just picked up an 8541 that was only 4 miles from my house. It was all there, including tooling and 6 Cat 30 holders, lots of cutters too. These machines are perfect for a home shop I think and don't take up much more space than a drill press. I plan on a total restore on this machine, mostly because I enjoy the process so much. Does anyone know if factory parts such as labels and ID plates are still available?

Here's the Clausing service manual for the 8540, 8541, 8550 and 8551 mills. Downloaded from somewhere on the web. Congrats on the pick up!

Bruce

Attachments

• Clausing horizontal mill 8540 service manual.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
What is the difference between 8540, 41, 50, 51 models? I can see that the series was available with both hand and power table feed but aside from some changes at certain serial numbers, I don't see any other differences on the parts pages. I would have thought maybe two spindle tapers but the specs page just says #30 American Std.

OK. Thanks. But are you certain that they are in the right order? I would have expected them to be in the same order (for example, single, 3, single, 3). Instead, they are 3, single, single, 3.

Mastiff, nice score. I've been looking for one of those when time and money permit, as well as distance. There is one currently for sale out near Cleveland, Ohio, but it is too far for me to go.

Please keep us posted how you are doing with it.

Back