Just bought a early 70’s Clausing Colchester 15, Have Questions

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
I am pretty stoked, this is an awesome lathe. Did all the basic inspections and all seems well except the apron/saddle hand pump is not working.
The ways are in very good shape, I want to make sure I fix all the issues before I begin using it.
It has been sitting, maybe the pump/tubing is just gummed up.
Also, the Triumph 2000 and the 8,000 series, seem to look identical.
If you own these lathes I am interested in your experience.
Thanks,
Jeff
Some pics, had to remove the splash guard for transport. FD926582-27C5-49A6-868D-1BBB4FEDA2AF.jpegEE2F0D5B-56ED-4182-8FFA-D628D1EFD41D.jpeg6FDFB8E0-F3C7-480D-9620-F4A7CFCB55FB.jpeg5EEE91D7-3531-4230-A9DB-270BB9019930.jpeg

Congrats on the score.

I've run them for years . 13s ,15s and 17s . Probably the best engine lathes out there IMO other than the large American Pacemaker . Never had issues with them . Currently have a 13 and 15 at work which I use daily . We have a Harrison which is absolutely a twin to the 15 also . That is a keeper !

You running a CA or CXA on that Colchester ? Either way , I'm unloading a few Aloris holders ! :) ( they don't fit a Heavy 10 too well ) :(

IMG_9896.JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations Jeff. Beautiful machine !

Ted

It's too bad you didn't live closer mmcmdl. Ted, you are close. Know anything about these?
It's good to hear about your experience at work.
It took me a few days to decide if I wanted this big of a lathe. I tried to find issues with them online.
NOTHING!, just warnings about clutch adjustment and what oil to use.
I guess that's a really good thing.

I can't find it now. There was a thread that had the name of a HM member that sells parts for these lathes./
Anybody?

I've run them for years . 13s ,15s and 17s . Probably the best engine lathes out there IMO other than the large American Pacemaker . Never had issues with them . Currently have a 13 and 15 at work which I use daily . We have a Harrison which is absolutely a twin to the 15 also . That is a keeper !

You running a CA or CXA on that Colchester ? Either way , I'm unloading a few Aloris holders ! :) ( they don't fit a Heavy 10 too well ) :(

I could use some tool holders.
I have a few that came with the machine. I'll check what those are.
I definitely need that boring bar holder.
I lost all my tooling in the fire. It was BXA anyway. I assumed I could use BXA or CXA with this size.
You know best mmcmdl!!
I'll keep in touch.

Britain.
I have found the "Colchester", means it was made in the Essex plant. (at least that is what I have read)
I got to tell you, those Limies build a nice machine.

Got her all put away in the shop.
This weekend, cleaning and adjusting, belt change.
Next week, hopefully my electrician can help me with power.
Once I find a more permanent location I will mount and level it properly.
I think the next time you see her, she will not have yellow handles.
.IMG_1701[1].JPG

Back