Just bought a Shizouka AN-S

The DSMPC has drivers for the new MACH4. You might want to check out Mach4
I use MachMotion's screenset but I don't think they sell it separate from their CNC solutions anymore. Be sure to check out a screenset on you touchscreen. Many of the home-made screensets use buttons that are not so easy to press on a touch screen (made for mouse clicking).

I'm good with code, not so good with electronics, and have no experience with Mach3 so I will be asking questions of you. I really appreciate you offer of help :)

Well slight plan change.

Since the DSMPC was two weeks out I decided to look on Ebay for one. And guess what I found for $900 instead?

And it's local so I'm going to pick it up tonight and take it out to Jim' place tomorrow.

Jim said since I found this for such an unbelievable price I should go buy a lotto ticket and quit my job :) New it's $3200!!!

$_57.JPG

Got the 4080 out to Jim and it seems to work just fine. Has it hooked up to Mach3 and he is jogging it offline.

I've added some links to parts I've bought hoping they will be helpful and save some money on others projects.

Have stepper motors ordered for the speed control and the tool changer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221424267383?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My touch screen monitor came in and it looks great. For $135 shipped it was a great deal. Looks brand new not refurbished at all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171708856705?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Got my breakout boards from Winford for half the price of the ones from Galil.
http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brksd26hd.php They shipped the same day I placed my order.

My magnetic Renishaw scale tape off Ebay also. I wanted to order from a US supplier but they were well over $100 more for 2 meters of tape.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331023801182?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The Renishaw LM10 reader heads came off Ebay for $80 each, but he seems to have pulled his listing. He had them for $100 and I made him and offer on 4 and he accepted it.

I need to figure out how to attach the monitor to my pendant box. There is a very small (about 1/8" lip) around the outside edge of the monitor and I can enlarge the opening so it fits tightly into the opening, but need to find a way of attaching it with some kind of clamps or something on the back of the monitor to hold it in place.
Haven't go that figured out just yet.

20150313_151752.jpg

20150313_151736.jpg

monitor.jpg

Got a little done today. Worked on the power panel. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get the panel with all the motion control stuff done, then comes running all the wiring.

panel.jpg

Congrats on the mill- looks really solid. For cam, the new Dolphin stuff is relatively affordable. I got a package from them for both lathe and mill for a decent price. Anyway, good luck and post lots of pics as you get it going.

I is pretty solid. From all I've read about the AN-S mills they will cut anything you throw at them.

I have an old Version of Mastercam (X5) but am having problems learning it. Back when I had my shop I used Smartcam and it was DOS program. That's been well over 10 years ago and my biggest problem is unlearning Smartcam and relearning Mastercam. Seems old habits die hard.

I may take a look at Dolphin. What did you end up paying for a seat of Dolphin?

1 extremely import Q and 1 not so important Q if I may.

#1 - Is Mr. Dawson in any of the pics above around the Truck. :)
#2- I recently picked up a break for the kid to do exactly what you did for your box. What software did you have? Does it show you the view 'all folded up' after you lay it out and define fold points? Not sure how to do any of this yet.... but we're about to give it a go this summer. Thanks all. REALLY GOOD THREAD! Keep the info coming!

Ohh- 2.5- W/ Mach 3, I thought you needed stepper motors. If you run DC servo types, is this capability just in the controller you picked up? Translate stepper pulses into DC Server over encoder movement? So much to learn these days. Keeps us young!
Giddy up all
JJ

1 extremely import Q and 1 not so important Q if I may.

#1 - Is Mr. Dawson in any of the pics above around the Truck. :)
#2- I recently picked up a break for the kid to do exactly what you did for your box. What software did you have? Does it show you the view 'all folded up' after you lay it out and define fold points? Not sure how to do any of this yet.... but we're about to give it a go this summer. Thanks all. REALLY GOOD THREAD! Keep the info coming!

Ohh- 2.5- W/ Mach 3, I thought you needed stepper motors. If you run DC servo types, is this capability just in the controller you picked up? Translate stepper pulses into DC Server over encoder movement? So much to learn these days. Keeps us young!
Giddy up all
JJ

That's me holding the trailer down in the picture with my son actually doing some work in the trailer. That may be the only picture of me on the entire Internet.

There is a Mach3 plug in for the Galil controllers. Not exactly sure how that is going to work with Mach3, but we'll hook everything up as a servo system and then figure out how to make Mach3 run it. I really haven't done all of the research needed to understand everything. The fallback is to use my software to run the machine.

The sheetmatal came with the mill, I don't have the design for it. I just had it bent up by my favorite sheet metal shop that takes a short case of Conona for payment :)

I have started a new thread in the machine build forum. There are more pics of the control and power cabinets with the components mounted.

I'd post a link to the new thread but I'm in my phone so can't easily do that.

Back