Just Bought a Walker Turner Drill Press - good buy?

Eyeballing mine I suspect there may not be enough clearance under the "helmet" belt guard to have the large end of the spindle pulley up.

Eyeballing mine I suspect there may not be enough clearance under the "helmet" belt guard to have the large end of the spindle pulley up.
You know, I was thinking about this after I posted this question. I was so caught up on whether the pulley could be flipped because of spacer sizes or something, didn’t think of if there’s a enough room in the cranium.

it's a lot easier to put the motor pulley large side down and have the intermediate pulley upside down :) That's how mine is on my WT900 - came with the slow speed attachment. I put a treadmill motor and speed controller on it a few years ago and rarely ever change pulley ratios from the middle one its on. A few times I'll move it one slower for using S&D drills and the like, but that's it.

it's a lot easier to put the motor pulley large side down and have the intermediate pulley upside down :) That's how mine is on my WT900 - came with the slow speed attachment. I put a treadmill motor and speed controller on it a few years ago and rarely ever change pulley ratios from the middle one its on. A few times I'll move it one slower for using S&D drills and the like, but that's it.
Yeah, that’s what I’ll probably end up doing. The slow speed attachment I’m making is the kind that’s a slug of metal that goes into the top of the column which has an off center hole for the pulley to allow for proper belt tensioning. If the middle pulley is off the center line of the motor and spindle pulley then it will probably hit my belt guard cover...which means I won’t be able to use it. Shame because it looks great and not many people with these drill presses still have one.

This weekend I’ll try flipping the pulley and report back.

one option if you're tight for space is a simpler 2 step intermediate pulley with a set screw to let you slide it up or down the shaft for different speeds. You won't have as many total speeds, but if you work out the ratios and make the 2 steps the right size, you'll probably cover most of the speeds you need. To be honest, the slow speed attachment was a pain. It's a fiddle to use and there was a gaping hole in the speed range between 1300rpm or so and 3500rpm. I guess it was supposed to be "metal speed range" and "wood speed range", but it was still a pain. Much happier with the variable speed motor. It's so much easier to use that, you know, I actually use it :)

one option if you're tight for space is a simpler 2 step intermediate pulley with a set screw to let you slide it up or down the shaft for different speeds. You won't have as many total speeds, but if you work out the ratios and make the 2 steps the right size, you'll probably cover most of the speeds you need. To be honest, the slow speed attachment was a pain. It's a fiddle to use and there was a gaping hole in the speed range between 1300rpm or so and 3500rpm. I guess it was supposed to be "metal speed range" and "wood speed range", but it was still a pain. Much happier with the variable speed motor. It's so much easier to use that, you know, I actually use it :)

Thanks, I’ll consider the smaller two step pulley. I already have a 4 step that will work but I’ll still check it out. As for speed, right now I keep it at the lowest speed which is about 650rpm. I only went faster when I was using a router bit on some walnut. This is pretty much strictly a metal cutting machine and slowing it down would help a lot.

Just a little update. It IS possible to flip the spindle pulley but you can’t use the top groove.
1B9C91F3-8496-4C0F-AAD4-62EBC390BDB8.jpeg

Also, I finished my slow speed attachment and it works like a charm. Slowest speed is 260rpm.

21837E7B-761C-491C-8F8E-528F30EDD74F.jpegC971420B-F524-4B24-84AF-2C35C14698E1.jpeg

nice work! Is the plug with the intermediate pulley free to rotate, so you can change spindle speeds? When you had the spindle pulley upside down, how did the upper guide (or whatever that plug that goes through the casting and into the pulley is called) fit?

I think it looks a treat just as is, you should be really pleased with yourself. If you ever need new belts, check out the AX style, they're relieved on the inside (look cogged but aren't) so they wrap better around small pulleys and are less likely to take a set. I put a couple on my WT and they work very well.

Yup, the plug or slug as I call it is free to spin. When I flipped the pulley (just as a test) the upper guide which holds the upper bearing fit nicely into the void of the pulley. Same with the lower. So the bearings stay put and only the pulley flips. Easy peasy. The pulley fits in the dome of the head casting but as I said above, the belt won’t fit in the top groove.

Some more pictures of my attachment on the bench:
0E603C05-5280-4B51-B4F6-C9A6E2CA6CD5.jpeg7FF88B2F-034C-415A-9C40-032CEE72BD5B.jpeg

Using oilite bronze bushings. I feel this will work fine compared to roller bearings. Time will tell I guess. Steel shaft is red loctite’d in the aluminum slug and the pulley with bushings rotates on the shaft. Washer and screw don’t bear down on the top bushing, but are just there to keep the pulley from flying off. Maybe 10 thou clearance. Not that it will...just a precaution.

Thanks! I am pleased!

And thanks, I’ll check out the AX style belts. One of my concerns was the tight wrap it has to do.

Back