Just Bought a Walker Turner Drill Press - good buy?

I've had a bench top WT for several years that's worked quite well for me. It doesn't have a belt guard.
The only thing that would make it 'cherry' would be a slo-speed attachment.

I've had a bench top WT for several years that's worked quite well for me. It doesn't have a belt guard.
The only thing that would make it 'cherry' would be a slo-speed attachment.

You drill metal with it currently? Do you find yourself always using the slowest speed? Are you limited to smaller bits?

I got a 1/2 hp motor for $35 and it's reversible and runs nicely. I'm looking to get the correct sized pulleys...maybe I'll be ok without doing a slow speed attachment. Or I think making one will be the best bet if I feel it's needed.

I keep it on the slowest speed. Drilling with smaller sizes is not a problem but, depending on the material, 3/8" and up can get dicey.

Good luck finding a slo-speed attachment. I've been looking for years. It can be made though.
Someone once told me there were plans for on in a Popular Mechanics (or other type magazine). I've searched but to only come up empty.

Slow speed attachments are nice, but rare as hen's teeth. That was one reason I went with the VFD and 3/4hp motor. It provides infinite speed variation, with plenty of power, even at low speed.

Is your motor 220v? I have the original WT, 1/2 hp, 110/220 motor. It's set up for 110v. I've thought about getting a VFD for it. Would I have to set it for 220v to make that work?

I was thinking of a VFD but I'm not into it. I know it's more cost effective to go the VFD route but I just don't want more complexity and a big box sticking out the side.

The motor is a Baldor 220 3 phase, 3/4hp. But the VFD is 110 single phase input. So it just plugs into a standard wall outlet. The VFD does its magic to run the motor just fine. My earlier post shows the VFD and simple control box with speed control knob.

Ok, maybe I was a bit hasty. I'm looking at VFD's now and am considering it. I just want a relatively cheap, small unit. Curious if my current 110v 1/2HP will be under powered at low rpm though. Got to do more research.

I'm not an expert at all. But 4 years ago when I was restoring my WT 900, I too was looking for a slow speed attachment. Another fellow told me about the VFD he put on his WT 900. He sent me photos and more details. After more research I decided to copy his set up. Mine turned out almost identical to his and I'm very pleased with it. Here is a photo of the one I copied.8090-B.jpg

There is a lot good VFD info in this garage journal thread.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320064

How difficult is it to flip the spindle pulley so the large diameter is on top rather than the bottom?

I ask because I’m making a slow speed attachment and it would make it easier to install my home made version with the large diameter side of the pulley face down.

Thanks!

For anyone interested, I’m using this link to model it off of but instead I’m turning a slug of aluminum to go into the column. No way I’m welding anything on my drill press.
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/homemade-low-speed-conversion-craftsman-drill-press-220616.html

Back