Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello everybody, Being impatient I bit the bullet and ended up buying this 1994 Enco Lathe from an Estate Sale in California. Its remarkably similar to the Grizzly G4003 and the stand looks the same if not identical to the Grizzly Stand.

The funny thing is I wasn't so much sold on the machine ( One Owner for personal use. ) as I was on the amount of tooling that's comes with it. Literally box's and box''s... Ill put photos up next week. He used it to make or work on creating rail mounted firearms.

Its not the prettiest Lathe but it was well lubricated, covered and looked well cared for... It comes with not just tooling but Calipers, several Dial indicators, all the original packaged items, Way oil, Gear Oil, Grease and much much much more, Way to much to list, I think I saw an indexing head of sorts in the box's as well.

I had My Heart set on getting and restoring either a Logan 2557 or Logan 7500 which is why I was going to California in the first place... but how could I say no to a lathe for $1800.00 with boat loads of tooling.

I purposely didn't bring the work lift gate truck since i wanted a way out of buying a lathe on the spot and force a time gap to ponder my thoughts, I wasn't really expecting to come away this lathe.

Enco 110-2070.jpg

I checked all I could running the lathe through its paces with my very limited knowledge and found nothing of issue with any components excluding a good amount of backlash in the cross slide. I did a bit of research and this model may be prone to wiring issues, I have some schooling in electrical so hopefully I can solve any issues that arise from that area.

I left a deposit and will pick it up next week and will report back with what all I got. If anyone can share pertinent info about available parts - guessing the G4003, any known issues or that I just managed to get the Enconomy Version of a HF lathe. After mentioning that, what is the lathe a knock off from, some Emco model maybe..?

I feel like I got a good deal and I'm hoping this will make a good beginner lathe to destroy learn on since it's ready to go and just needs a bit of clean up.. Other than my 9 X 20 this will be my first full functioning lathe. Have a great week people and thanks for looking.

Edited for content, Spelling & Grammar.

Last edited:
Looks identical to my 13x40 built in 2004. I have not had any electrical issues (knock on wood).

Hello people...
Today Saturday, was both good and disappointing day, I Picked up the lathe and on my way back to Vegas... I took a detour to drive on the famous Route 66 for a few miles.. It was kinda nifty since you see all the movies about it, After that... strait back home I went only to find I cant get the Lathe unloaded off the truck my self because the two rear leveling casters ( it rolls ) got bent while we loaded it apparently.

Since its a 1000 lb machine I had no way to move it onto the lift gate myself and being too late to call for help I parked the lathe back at work behind roll up doors till tomorrow, In the morning ill strip the Lathe down till its lite enough I can move it my self or try and fix the bent castors.. Ill end up having to repair the castors anyways because of the added features they afford, the base has a wider stance on the floor for stability & mobility and allows for easy leveling of the lathe.

What a day...!! Have a great weekend folks, Ill report back after I sort this mess out.

Be safe moving it and don't hesitate to ask for help. Really, 1000lbs is a lot and you don't want to have to fix it if it falls, I'm in that process now (previous owner dropped it). Not to mention what can happen to your body if it's in the way :oops:

I had two generous forum members volunteer to help with my move and I don't know how I could have done it without them :encourage:

John

Be safe moving it and don't hesitate to ask for help. Really, 1000lbs is a lot and you don't want to have to fix it if it falls, I'm in that process now (previous owner dropped it). Not to mention what can happen to your body if it's in the way :oops:

I had two generous forum members volunteer to help with my move and I don't know how I could have done it without them :encourage:

John

Thanks for the word of caution, Lol right there with ya on the safety part Sir...That is why I stopped even trying and parked the truck last night, Glad I stopped being impatient and tearing it down to make it lighter so I could move it. Now I don't have to put the whole thing back together :)

Its currently safe in my garage... Had to use / borrow the shop fork skids to get the Lathe off safely. The fork skids left plenty of space allowing me to put the 4 wheel dolly ( photo left side ) right under the cabinet, and right in the garage she went.

Lathe110-2075.jpg

The fork skids are smooth so the bent casters slid down it without too much effort.

I like the simple design idea he had but it failed in real world execution for moving, His idea is good thou because it adds stability with a wider stance and easy to level using the threaded bolts.. ill build on the idea and and see if i can improve on it as access to the rear of the machine is needed periodically.

The caster on the other side in the photo is stuck sideways. it wasn't rolling anywhere.

Lathecaster.jpg

Last edited:
That's a might fine looking machine there, I bet you'll be happy with it and not at all missing the "vintage" experience ;)

I may look into putting my 13x40 Bolton on some kind of castors but the ones that really work for this application are stupid money in my book. Most likely my plan for moving the lathe away from the wall when I need to will involve the Harbor Freight engine hoist I bought for the move. Can't wait to see all the goodies you got with it, that makes the deal really sweet since the machine itself is worth $1800.

Let me be the first to say, YOU SUCK :encourage:

JOhn

Congratulations. That’s a great looking machine.

I highly recommend CarryMaster leveling casters. They are high quality and you can use them as leveling feet as well. they make it easy to push around 1k lbs.

Their online store doesn't work but there are other places that have them. Thanks, I thought they were much more expensive than they are.

John

Zambus carries them and has decent prices. You might want to get a higher rating as it makes wheeling easier, but these should do the job.

mJVail is also good (first site) but you’ll need to call them.

Back