Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

:laughing:

Yes, he stated fire damage but says salvageable & really only needs the electrical replaced, rest is cosmetic. I sure hope so, looks like a lot of work. His profile says he's in Denmark. Here's his IG if you were interested in following his progress. Only 2 posts on it so far though.
I just may well, I love seeing machines brought back to life... Thanks.

I so really need to find a lathes for dummy's book or take a trip to Mikeys house for some basic schooling... I went through one of the box's and plastic case today and pulled out these QCTP tool holders, Im pretty sure these are all the tool holders but their could be a couple strays in the other box's. It looks like ill have a good assortment to start out with but honestly I should probably learn the basics of cutting before attempting to use these..

I saw an forum post by Mikey about learning to grind HSS, I think ill start there. lol other than prettying my lathe up I really have no business using it except for maybe familiarizing my self with it operation and what controls do what.. I have no real training with lathes except playing with them, so as soon as this ones all cleaned up it will get placed in its spot and covered, till I learn some basics.

QCTP.jpg

Wow, nice collection! If you can make it to Hawaii, I would love to spend some time with you, Mike. Short of that, I assure you that if you ask for help, you will get it. We have some really knowledgeable guys on this forum and they will bend over backwards to help you.

As for a "lathes for dummies" book, the classic text is South Bend's "How To Run a Lathe". You can get reprints on ebay and it is worth a read. Just remember that they didn't use quick change tool posts or shape HSS tools the way we do today so things have changed a little but the meat of running a lathe is in that book.

As for tools, your lathe is big and rigid enough to use carbide, especially if the work piece you use allows you to get enough speed. If you plan to work with smaller diameters, say 1" and below, then HSS might just be the ticket. We can give you a hand on the model tools thread; lots of guys started from zero there and have become accomplished tool grinders so you'll have a lot of help. I will also be happy to discuss tool grinding with you there, too.

Learning to run a lathe is not difficult. You will find that the lathe is the best teacher of all machine tools once you figure out how to decipher what it is telling you.

Another way you can access help is to PM any member that you feel comfortable with. Sometimes that works the best and a lot of info can be exchanged one on one. If I can help, PM me.

Wow, nice collection! If you can make it to Hawaii, I would love to spend some time with you, Mike. Short of that, I assure you that if you ask for help, you will get it. We have some really knowledgeable guys on this forum and they will bend over backwards to help you.

As for a "lathes for dummies" book, the classic text is South Bend's "How To Run a Lathe". You can get reprints on ebay and it is worth a read. Just remember that they didn't use quick change tool posts or shape HSS tools the way we do today so things have changed a little but the meat of running a lathe is in that book.

As for tools, your lathe is big and rigid enough to use carbide, especially if the work piece you use allows you to get enough speed. If you plan to work with smaller diameters, say 1" and below, then HSS might just be the ticket. We can give you a hand on the model tools thread; lots of guys started from zero there and have become accomplished tool grinders so you'll have a lot of help. I will also be happy to discuss tool grinding with you there, too.

Learning to run a lathe is not difficult. You will find that the lathe is the best teacher of all machine tools once you figure out how to decipher what it is telling you.

Another way you can access help is to PM any member that you feel comfortable with. Sometimes that works the best and a lot of info can be exchanged one on one. If I can help, PM me.

lol I went looking for the south bend lathe book and ran across Mr Pete's Viemo video South Bend video... It costs $1000.00 to view it.. I think ill buy the book... problem i ran into is there are many versions of it.. and you point me to the right one so i can buy it ... Thank you.

They are all over ebay but the cheapest reprint I was able to find is available on Amazon and I would get it there. You can get an original for varying prices on ebay but unless you are a stickler for original prints, Amazon is cheaper and the info is the same.

Thanks Mikey... Ordered the one from the link... thought you wanted me to get a South Bend one, but this looks good too. and will be here sunday.

Last edited:
That reprint will be the same information as found in the original South Bend publication at a fraction of the cost. Plus, it won't be falling apart when you open it!

I found these in the tool box that matched the lathe color so I guess these are the metric threading gears that came with the lathe, Look these over and see if they are the metric ones you need to get measurements from - 1 says M 1.5 so these may be them... they were all wrapped in the factory wax paper... There is a z25.. z26.. z43.. z46.. z47.. z60.. I think they may be the metric ones your looking for... let me know.

View attachment 337126
View attachment 337127
View attachment 337128
Yes, those are them. If you could give me the outer diameter, thickness, and hole diameter of each one, that would be great. Then I just need to figure out which gear cutter to use. Thanks! Interesting that some don’t have keyways.

Hello everyone..

How many of you guys get gummy bears with your Reilang oil can order...) I received it in four days form over seas, just amazing.
Here is what I think now that its here.

As long as its filled full I can tip it to get all the ball oilers.. I may order the flex tube thou, And an oil mister.
The oil tip fits my Ball Oilers snug and held its position once the Ball is depressed.
I purposely put the oil can on its side for 10 minutes, when I came to check on it there was no oil puddles.
The operation of the oil pump handle is smooth and consistent through its full travel allowing control of the oil being dispensed.
Heavy industrial feel but out weights its contents short of mercury, so you cant tell when to refill.

So far so good.

Oh before I forget, I learned small but valuable lathe lesson today, The fastest surefire way to get any oil off your chuck and onto everything else is forget and leave the lathe in high gear after the previous nights wipe down... I need to get in the habit of switching to low gear after each use..! Ill put that on my stupid mistake rule list,

New List...
1. Wear eye protection even if your just cleaning the lathe.
2. Set lathe spindle speed to low after your done using it.
3. Remove excess oil from between Jaws and chuck face.

OilerReilang.jpg

Wow, I feel cheated - I didn't get any Gummy Bears with my order! Must be a 2020 thing.

Once the internal reservoir is full it will pump in any position, even upside down. You don't need to fill it full. Just put some in there and pump until oil comes out and the reservoir is full enough to work in any position.

Oh yeah, we all learn the oil-flinging trick very early on and I have the striped T-shirts to prove it!

Back