Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Zambus carries them and has decent prices. You might want to get a higher rating as it makes wheeling easier, but these should do the job.

mJVail is also good (first site) but you’ll need to call them.

Those are the ones that I was going to put on the logan 1875 I was restoring. and will likely be the ones i use for this lathe... Thanks for reminding me...

Actually the AC-300 might be perfect, The use weight given is based on three casters in contact with the ground at any given time.. Per the manufacturers Info. Only thing I'm unsure of is you get less then half inch of travel to level the machine.. Ill have to check the floor area where it will be set and see if that will work.

As for being a good looking machine... YOU sir are way to kind, I bet you let everyone win board games at family reunions.

Thank you.

That's a might fine looking machine there, I bet you'll be happy with it and not at all missing the "vintage" experience ;)

I may look into putting my 13x40 Bolton on some kind of castors but the ones that really work for this application are stupid money in my book. Most likely my plan for moving the lathe away from the wall when I need to will involve the Harbor Freight engine hoist I bought for the move. Can't wait to see all the goodies you got with it, that makes the deal really sweet since the machine itself is worth $1800.

Let me be the first to say, YOU SUCK :encourage:

JOhn

lets check whats in the box's first and see if there is any good stuff, may be no reason to think I got a great deal. even if its all mostly junk I think I got a decent deal on the lathe - 1800.00 seems fair concidering.

That is a great looking machine, well done. And no unloading mishaps are even better!

That's a might fine looking machine there, I bet you'll be happy with it and not at all missing the "vintage" experience ;)

JOhn

Hello.. lol this lathe is kinda vintage, It was built in Dec 1994 - almost 26 years ago and no longer requires a smog check. Its so old I thought it had surface rust on the ways... Nope just old 1994 way oil that turned brown from never ever being cleaned... and the reason I guess it was never cleaned is he has notes all over the lathe, ill get some photos up in a few days.

There are a few weird things about it too, like a 3 jaw Frankenstein chuck on it that I haven't removed yet..! and a few other odd modification he made.

Thanks for the fine looking lathe compliment, I think she may clean up nicely. I really do miss the beauty of an Old iron lathe but this lathe will suit me fine, Its more lathe and more capable then I am, ill grow into it, and like you say I don't have to do a full restore on it...

That is a great looking machine, well done. And no unloading mishaps are even better!

Thanks for the compliment, I was worried about getting it off the truck with its narrow stand and high center of gravity, just looking at it would cause it to tip, I took great caution every inch.. Kinda funny cause I had no issues getting my old Logan 1875 off the truck at all.

Although I believe the stand has short comings I do like that it takes up a small foot print in the shop.

Thank you for looking,..

Depending where it's going, think ahead about leveling; it may well mean offsetting the leveling castors a fair bit. I had to do that on my lathe due to having nearly a 1" difference in floor elevation sloping toward the street. Yes, leveling castors can adjust for that, but only to a small degree, typically a lot less than what may be required.

Also, whoever left the threaded rod bare on those castors needs about three points deducted from their man card. It has/had about zero lateral strength, and just adding a spacer would have prevented all the drama.

Depending where it's going, think ahead about leveling; it may well mean offsetting the leveling castors a fair bit. I had to do that on my lathe due to having nearly a 1" difference in floor elevation sloping toward the street. Yes, leveling castors can adjust for that, but only to a small degree, typically a lot less than what may be required.

Also, whoever left the threaded rod bare on those castors needs about three points deducted from their man card. It has/had about zero lateral strength, and just adding a spacer would have prevented all the drama.

Hello Sir..

The original owner passed away, so Ill have to take the blame and absorb the 3 points off my card... Hopefully I get points back for unloading it myself using brain power causing no additional damage to the machine. :) On a funny note, bent casters are the least this lathe has to worry about when I start to learn how to machine on it.

I did check the pad where the lathe will be placed and the elevation change is within 3/8" at its lowest point. So that's good news.

Thanks for checking in on me, I appreciate it.

Hello all...
I ordered some new leveling casters from CasterHq because they have dust protectors over the bearings... and are a little more robust than the AC-300s. New Leveling Casters

Here is the photo of the FrankenChuck I mentioned early on. the clean spot that I thought was rust came off easy with WD40, I think it was just Really old Oil. The previous owner didnt clean it I'm guessing due to his notes he has all over the lathe. The whole lathe has this Brown haze all over it.

FrankenChuck.jpg

Last edited:
Back