Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Hello Sir..
Thanks for stopping by, And for offering some excellent tips and tricks for the Enco Lathe.

Just saw this thread now and you update too quickly - your questions have already been answered! :) Jens Putzier is great to deal with and a number of German/Euro companies include a small treat. I don't know why the Haribro bears are particularly popular (I've received them from at least 3 or 4 different companies over the years).
I really don't feel I'm updating too much. Example - the Reilang oilier conveyed to me by members of this forum as the best oilier to buy..! With the advice given me I bought an oilier ( Model R001 ), it will not do what I or other forum members expected... Unfortunately searching these forums is hit or miss for me and I did not find any mention of the Type/Model to buy - I place Zero blame on Jens Putzier tools for my incorrect purchase and emailed them to purchase another. I bought the Model R003 after an email exchange with Jen Pitzier.

I thought It would be a wise idea to immediately post my purchase mistake quickly so other's can avoid making a $60.00 dollar purchase mistake..! I have a ton more to post but I have held back posting in fear of over-updating as you suggest.

I wasn't aware I was over-updating... I never received a complaint on my restoration thread of a Logan 1875 lathe or I would be more cautious.

BTW I got 4 packs of gummy bears with my second order... I have not received free snacks before ever in life with a purchase so this was very new to me. I just thought they like Americans... Maybe.

I have essentially the same lathe (Grizzly G4003G) so i'll watch this thread. My cliffs:
Congratulations on what I believe is your purchase of the perfect size hobby lathe.

I use a simple fabric sheet to cover my lathe - really just to keep dust off of it. I use 4 strong magnets on the backsplash. Just flip the front side of the cover over the backsplash. I do have days with temp & humidity swings. No rusting issues.
Dust will be the Arch Nemesis for my lathe where I live, I didn't update yet that I purchased the HTC Tool Saver cover for the lathe. after asking for advice on what to get. I am glade to hear that a simple fabric sheet works for you to keep your lathe clean.

If your castings are like mine, the tumbler oil holes (see pic) do not work. That cover comes off easily if you want to check yours. The holes in the cover to not line up with holes in the tumbler casting. It's also not a great design to begin with: oil will drip between the 2 pieces instead of continue into the tumbler casting.
While our castings are definitely not the same, My tumbler holes may prove to be as ineffective as yours. I hope not...!

Mine also leaks a little from at least one of the feed/speed handles and the carriage. You do want to watch this because it will seep into the e-stop / jog / power buttons.
It has been suggested I not worry about that or other oil leaks in preceding posts, I have posted my concern about that exact issue and will not use the lathe until I have solved at least the leaks over the button control panel.

Install a spring between the tailstock and bed clamp. It prevents the bed clamp from canting and binding when moving the tailstock back/forth.
An absolute brilliant idea, Thank you.

I like using red for critical control knobs - easier to recognize quickly in an emergency and adds horsepower. This particular one came in a 3-pack. If your handle threads are M10 and you want one: shoot me a PM and I'll mail it over.
I like your thinking, Your light years ahead of me on safety.. Thanks for the heads up.

Nice work on cleaning up the chuck!
Thank you. I am proud of how it came out, its going in a protective cover until I am ready, understand and capable of using it effectively.

Again thanks for stopping by and sharing, I do appreciate it. Ill check your thread and see what else I can learn.

Last edited:
Ah, I probably wasn't clear. I just meant that I saw the thread and every question you had got resolved fast...that was all. I'd read a post, want to reply, then saw it was answered a few posts later. Haha. But its what makes this board great - fast and helpful members. There's no such thing as updating tools or posts too much or too fast. ;) Sorry it was interpreted that you were posting too much.

I've had the G4003G for a bit over a year. It's a great lathe for hobbyist; you got yourself a good one there. I also posted about leaky oil a while back but told if it ain't pouring out, don't worry about it. Still bothers me though. OCD and all.

Ah, I probably wasn't clear. I just meant that I saw the thread and every question you had got resolved fast...that was all. I'd read a post, want to reply, then saw it was answered a few posts later. Haha. But its what makes this board great - fast and helpful members. There's no such thing as updating tools or posts too much or too fast. ;) Sorry it was interpreted that you were posting too much.

I've had the G4003G for a bit over a year. It's a great lathe for hobbyist; you got yourself a good one there. I also posted about leaky oil a while back but told if it ain't pouring out, don't worry about it. Still bothers me though. OCD and all.
It's easy to misconstrue written words in a forum sometimes... Usually its me over thinking it as is the case here. Thanks..!
I haven't found an area on my lathe yet that doesn't leak some, while it doesn't seem to bother other people it really bothers me allot.
It's nice meeting you..

Hello Sir, You probably don't remember me its been a while... Just curious if you solved all your oil leak issues with your lathe...

Its been like forever since I have been on here.. Soon after we moved into this new house and I picked a spot for my lathe to live, within just a couple weeks had a nasty leak in the wall, Needless to say we had to rip out and do repairs and then covid hit, The world and my lathe project got put on hold..

The Lathe keeps looking at me and I keep looking at it --> I either have to tear into it and figure out how to get these oil leaks fixed or buy a new one, which makes no sense since I'd be basically buying the same lathe because it fits in the spot perfectly.

Anyway, hope you're having fun with your lathe, and all is going well on your end...!

Last edited:
I am not happy with my oilers... Came across your thread today. I will order one of those R03 to try it out...

The ones I have now are the GOLDENROD (625) Pistol Pump Oiler and the (727) Industrial Pump Oiler with Flex Spout...

IMG_4132.jpeg

On the main subject for the thread... Any updated photos of what your lathe is looking like??

I am not happy with my oilers... Came across your thread today. I will order one of those R03 to try it out...

The ones I have now are the GOLDENROD (625) Pistol Pump Oiler and the (727) Industrial Pump Oiler with Flex Spout...

View attachment 392727

On the main subject for the thread... Any updated photos of what your lathe is looking like??

Hello Sir, Unfortunately work stopped on my lathe when the house main water line broke inside the wall where the lathe was to be placed..!

The home was only 15 years old when I got it but Murphys Law took full effect shortly after moving in. I don't want to bore anyone with details, but the Movie Money Pit and my house have much in common... And since covid hit everyone thinks its ok to upcharge or even not show up to do repairs, so I've been doing it all myself on weekends and after work somtimes. Along with repairs and improvements I am still not done.

Back to point... I have not had enough time with my new oiler to determine whether or not it will work as I'm expecting and cannot yet recommend it anyone, What I can say about the oiler is they are built very well and their fit & finish are nice.

Now that it's starting to warm up a bit, I'm itching to start working on my lathe either fixing all the leaks or replacing the lathe. I've been looking on craigslist the last couple weeks for a bit newer 12x24 or 12x36 with no luck which is probably for the best.

Thanks for stopping by, Nice to meet you.

Oh BTW I noticed in your sig that you have the HF 9x20, Great little lathe, I had one, you can MOD the heck out of them. Latorz...

Last edited:
Hello Peeps...

After talking with Mikey and looking at my options with this very Leaky Lathe, one that I have been reluctant to work on due to the complexity of repairs needed, and the fact you can't even get a new lathe - without waiting several months in line thanks in part to Covid, I guess It's time I roll up the sleeves, Stop making excuses, And get back to work on it...

In any case I'm lucky to even have a lathe to work on, So this weekend I'll be ripping the lathe off it's stand to add the Leveling caster I bought for it last year. these are the ones I bought from CasterHQ model TP60 Made in Korea, they are rated for 600Lbs each 2400 lbs a set, I'll need to make an extension for the stands left and right side to mount them... Ill post photos as I go.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 182201.png

My garage is my shop like many people so, once I have the Lath Mobile and can move it around under good lighting, I'll start gutting the head, find & fix all the leaking seals. Make a splash guard, clean her up and cross fingers nothing else is needed and start having some fun.

Hi all...

I started to Lighten up the lath today by removing the motor & tailstock in preparation of using a cherry picker to lift the lathe off the stand...

Tomorrow I'll start removing the headstock, it needs to come off anyway so I can do the leak repairs on a bench, and as a plus make it safer to remove the bed by myself, I will add some alignment marks to the head for easy reassembly.

Unfortunately, I have to buy a new engine lift, and go figure none are on sale at the moment. all the ones I see on Offer Up and Craigslist look dismal so a new one it is.

I should only need a one ton since I'm just moving the bed and carriage, butt a two ton has more reach from the side, hmm.

Remove Motor 1.jpg

Motor Removed.jpg

Note: This original motor is wired for 220V.
The garage is still cool so I used a blow dryer to warm up the aged wire sheathing, that way I don't crack it during removal.

Wired 220v.jpg

If anyone needs a photo of a particular area / item, let me know..!
Thanks for looking,

Last edited:
Hello mikey, Gaffer, Papa Charlie, Nogoingback and matthewsx thanks for stopping by.

Soooo..! The nice guy with the grey truck delivered the new 2-Ton Lathe hoist today, Yay...!

Lol, it took me 1.5 hours to assemble a lift that should have taken 1/2 hour at most, Pffft... Must be age related.

Engine Lift Delivered.jpg

Engine lift assembled.jpg

With any luck time wise tomorrow, I will try and lift the headstock off the bed and Saturday remove the bed from the stand. And then the fun begins.

Any tips and tricks for marking the headstock alignment for easy reassembly if that's even a thing would be appreciated, I know I'll have to learn how to align it down the road, cause when I'm done, I probably won't need to buy a taper attachment. mine will be built in :)

Last edited:
A cold chisel or engraver will probably make marks you can reference later.

john

Back