Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Thats what I need help figuring out, I fear there are not many people here in Vegas on the forums and it's too costly to ship-out to another state or drive here to get it, so I am kinda hoping that enough people here on the forums knows of someone here in town that would get a kick out of getting this...

My last option would be to post it on offer up or craigs list which I dread as an option in finding a good home. fortunately, I'm not in a rush..
I wonder if there is a , Makers Space, in your area?

I just got one of these for $500 but has zero tooling and no change gears. Just whatever is already on it. A contact was bad. Found them on Amazon for $17. Runs fine. This one has a different # than yours I think though. Haven't gotten to make chips much though as it's at work right now..trying to figure out how to get it home.

Whatever came of this enco of yours? I just found this thread lastnight. Sad you won't be taking it to the finish line.

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_123226672.jpg
    IMG_20220829_123226672.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220829_123212864_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220829_123212864_HDR.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221021_161722537.jpg
    IMG_20221021_161722537.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20221021_161508890_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221021_161508890_HDR.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 33
I just got one of these for $500 but has zero tooling and no change gears. Just whatever is already on it. A contact was bad. Found them on Amazon for $17. Runs fine. This one has a different # than yours I think though. Haven't gotten to make chips much though as it's at work right now..trying to figure out how to get it home.

Whatever came of this enco of yours? I just found this thread lastnight. Sad you won't be taking it to the finish line.

That's a steal.

The good news is that Grizzly has been selling that lathe forever, and stock tons of parts for it.

Get the G4003 manual from their website. Copy the part# from the manual and paste it into their search bar.

The standard g4003, not the g4003g.

That's a steal.

The good news is that Grizzly has been selling that lathe forever, and stock tons of parts for it.

Get the G4003 manual from their website. Copy the part# from the manual and paste it into their search bar.

The standard g4003, not the g4003g.
Thanks! That's a great manual. Way better than the old scanned one I found.... Maybe I'll start my own thread similar to this one with lots of photos for others to enjoy....it will be another teardown and rebuild more than likely.
So you think the change gears would work from grizzly? Just plug and play?

Thanks! That's a great manual. Way better than the old scanned one I found.... Maybe I'll start my own thread similar to this one with lots of photos for others to enjoy....it will be another teardown and rebuild more than likely.
So you think the change gears would work from grizzly? Just plug and play?

I can't be 100% certain, but I feel confident around 98%.

A buddy of mine had the "central Machinery" branded one, which is the same lathe and he used G4003 change gears.

I bet there are a few members here who have done it and can verify.

I can't be 100% certain, but I feel confident around 98%.

A buddy of mine had the "central Machinery" branded one, which is the same lathe and he used G4003 change gears.

I bet there are a few members here who have done it and can verify.

I'll have to look into the sets they have. I wish they had technical drawings of the gears from grizzly for verification purposes before purchasing.

Hello people, So... Spring time is here and I've gotten the lathe itch again - happens every year like clock work, This is my final attempt at getting a solid hobby lathe, I am approaching it different this time... No more Antique or Used lathes - I'm literally going for broke this time.

What do you guys think about this Precision Matthews PM-12x36T
PM-12X36T

The lathe wont ship for a couple months so I put a couple k down to hold my place for it. However if anyone knows of a better hobby lathe please comment here, I was looking for a bit shorter lathe like a 12-24, I can't find one so ill squese in a 12X36. I was considering the SB heavy 10 from grizzly but think maybe service and parts from Precision Matthews is a better bet from my experience with them and good tells from all I;ve read..

I may have a home for my old lathe ( fingers crossed ) that needs fixing a bit, I was emailed recently and asked what I want for it - I said free... so maybe ill get lucky and they can refurbish it fully and put it to good use...

HoboMachinist good find man - looks solid, Congratz...​

Last edited:
I have heard good things from those that own the Ultra Precision units. I wouldn't order one without the heavy duty base. Unless you plan to build an overkill heavy steel base yourself. Critical to have a solid, non flexing base to support this across the entire unit.

I have heard good things from those that own the Ultra Precision units. I wouldn't order one without the heavy duty base. Unless you plan to build an overkill heavy steel base yourself. Critical to have a solid, non flexing base to support this across the entire unit.
I am going to be checking and sizing up the foot print of my old 12X36 base that I fully rebuilt last summer to see if I can use it - its dead solid and has heavy-duty mobile casters on it, If not Ill buy or make one for it.

I'm hoping this will work after all the effort in beefing it up.

1676683023061.png1676682922659.png

Well unfortunately I cant use my stand with a new PM 12x36T... I found a thread on here with a cad drawing of the bed bolt hole layout which is 6 in wider then my current lathe...

I think it's weird I have never been able to find a high end lathe that's a bit smaller and made in twain...

Last edited:
I am going to be checking and sizing up the foot print of my old 12X36 base that I fully rebuilt last summer to see if I can use it - its dead solid and has heavy-duty mobile casters on it, If not Ill buy or make one for it.

I'm hoping this will work after all the effort in beefing it up.

View attachment 438129View attachment 438128

Well unfortunately I cant use my stand with a new PM 12x36T... I found a thread on here with a cad drawing of the bed bolt hole layout which is 6 in wider then my current lathe...

I think it's weird I have never been able to find a high end lathe that's a bit smaller and made in twain...

Not sure where and how exactly the bolt pattern varies, but you could add 6" a spacer into the center structure and/or add a plate to the top of the pedestals to address the different bolt patterns.
Yes it would require a new cover plate for the center but you could also build it out so that it is a storage cabinet or shelf in the plate to use that space. You already have the stand. If you buy a new one, you will have two and what good would that be to you.

Last edited:
Back