Just breaking into Machining. Very green. Need advice.

Sm412

Registered
Registered
Hi all. My name is Seth and I just had a concern.

First of all, what drew me to machining was my experience working in manufacturing. Namely assembly of parts, as well as operating machinery (plastics). Keep in mind that i didn't do maintenance. I was more of a button pusher and user of basic tools to unscrew and screw fasteners. When I did work alongside machinists, I found myself fascinated by their work. I finally made the decision to take machining classes at my local community college, which I start this coming Monday.

Here's my concern: I really don't know if I'm mechanically inclined. I've never had the opportunity to truly test my natural ability. Never worked on a car, for example. What I do know is that I am having trouble understanding the terminology in my textbook. It's like machinists have their own language that I have yet to understand. It has me kind of discouraged. I feel totally lost.

My question is, is this stuff that can be learned, or do I have to have some kind of natural ability as well as prior knowledge in mechanics?

Natural ability and exposure helps , but I don't think it's a deal breaker if you really want to learn. Desire is half the battle really. School should help you learn the terminology. You'll never know until you try!

Thanks for the reply! Yea I just tell myself that it isn't as bad as Human Biology. Hardest class I've ever taken. I would read entire chapters out of my textbook with absolutely no clue as to what I just read. I managed to pass with a C.

I do have aptitude for numbers and math. Anything that has to do with numbers I can pick up and run with. I assume that will help me. And the desire to learn is definitely there. I'm going to give it my very best effort.

Hi all. My name is Seth and I just had a concern.

Here's my concern: I really don't know if I'm mechanically inclined. I've never had the opportunity to truly test my natural ability. Never worked on a car, for example. What I do know is that I am having trouble understanding the terminology in my textbook. It's like machinists have their own language that I have yet to understand. It has me kind of discouraged. I feel totally lost.

My question is, is this stuff that can be learned, or do I have to have some kind of natural ability as well as prior knowledge in mechanics?

Seth---let us know a few things and we can help you-------do you have any hobbies---do you like to fix things---do you have a shop space to work in---let us know what shop tools or hand tools you have if any---not everyone starting out in a new hobby understands everything ---but communication and asking us questions--whether simple or detailed will help you along the learning path-----we will never mind answering simple or detailed questions ---so don't be hesitant to ask them-----after giving yourself and us a fair chance----you should have a better idea of how easy it is to gain knowledge ---don't be discouraged or feel lost----we can help----Dave :))

I think having an interest is the key. If something about it is the bug that bites you then go find out.

I think you're on the best path possible by not jumping in and buying a bunch of equipment but taking a class where you'll have access to the machines and a teacher from which you can learn.

If it's meant to be you'll pick it up and it will stick, if not you had some fun discovering what its all about.

The only thing that is important in your career is that you enjoy what you're doing. It sounds like you enjoy machining and are fascinated with the work and you've signed up for classes at a community college. You'll know pretty quickly if it's not for you.

Don't get cold feet following your dreams. It's never too late to make a change.

I also start back this week in school. I dont know if my experiences are standard but I'll tell you what I see.

You have 3 kinds in school. 1) Folks that will be master machinist given time. 2) folks who will be machinist but will always need someone to help or keep an eye out. 3) Operators for life.

I believe the operators are the guys who are there for a job. No interest, no passion. Just a desire for a living wage job.

The other two both enjoy it a great deal. The fine line there is all in passion.

In the first group They find they absolutely love it. Craftsmen to be. The ability to make a chip come from a chunk of worthless metal amazes these folks.

One of the guys in the first group is actually a cancer doctor. He will never be a "machinist" by trade. But if he wanted to, one day he would be awesome. He aint mechanically inclined at all. I learn faster then him because I am. But he's right behind me and ahead of most others.

Another guy in the first group is Asian. Not sure where from but he dont speak or read english well. He's the best guy in class hands down. He puts in the work. What ever it takes to learn the words. He records classes to translate what th teacher said. He comes over here to work on cad/cam.

I dribble all this to point out that two of the best guys in school fit both your concerns. You need to enjoy it, and know how to teach your self. I spend hours on youtube and forums trying to learn it before it gets taught. So it dont all sound like spanish to me. I dont speak spanish

Chuck, in a perfect world you may be correct. In our world you could start out loving the job and end up hating it. Only time will tell if you wish to stick to it. I have seen many that were extremely good machinists give it up because it got tedious or boring to them.

Someone mentioned that you need to like what you are doing. Good words to live by. I went to work everyday expecting a new adventure. Sometimes it happened, more often not. I just loved to run the machines. So I never thought there was any other job for me. 40+ years later I'm still having fun.

"Billy G"

I am lucky to be one of those that is mechanically inclined and is good with math, which makes all of this so much easier.

Chuck mentioned the three types of machinist. When I was fresh out of high school I went to work in a machine shop and grew to hate it because I was nothing but a button pusher, and that was all I was allowed to be. Being a button pusher is monotonous and boring, so I quickly followed other interests. Over the years I had various jobs where I would machine one off parts for various projects, and I loved doing it. This is where I realized that I still had the passion for it, but I needed to be fully engaged mentally. This is what led me to machining for a hobby, and I couldn't be happier!

Back