Just collecting info - R700

Cool, that would put you way ahead.

Have you read the gunsmithing book by John L. Hinnant? It's the best I've read for hobby machinists working in a decent home shop. Most gunsmithing books spend an agonizing amount of pages going over stuff I'll never use, like how to filagree a trigger guard in 45 days or less (puh-lease), or how to fix the extractor of a 1871 Turkish musket (wrong century, muskets don't have extractors anyway). This book is all about machining tasks on bolt action rifles, should help you on your way.

Last edited:
Cool, that would put you way ahead.

Have you read the gunsmithing book by George L. Hinnant? It's the best I've read for hobby machinists working in a decent home shop. Most gunsmithing books spend an agonizing amount of pages going over stuff I'll never use, like how to filagree a trigger guard in 45 days or less (puh-lease), or how to fix the extractor of a 1871 Turkish musket (wrong century, muskets don't have extractors anyway). This book is all about machining tasks on bolt action rifles, should help you on your way.

I have not. Do you mind providing the title of the book? I saw one from him for barrel fitting but not a general gunsmithing book. I'd love to read that

That's the book. Barrel fitting is not a narrow scope on a bolt rifle, it covers the action too. He includes blueprints for several tools you'll need that you might not know you need. It's the best money I've spent on a book on the subject and helped me get off the ground and get started.

Awesome, I'll pick that up. Thanks!

Just don't order it for $128 or whatever they've got it listed on Amazon for at the moment. Grizzly sells it, and Hinnant sells directly (or at least he did a few years ago).

Dave Manson reamers also carries the Hinant book, at a reasonable price.

FYI, I was able to locate a user on ebay that offered a print of the 700 receiver - wdshpbiz . He runs under "western sky publishing" on his paperwork. I can't post it because I didn't do the leg work on the plans, but plans are available out there.

I have several drawings of the R700. If you have a receiver on hand, it's easy to blueprint for yourself, since there are not many features there to dimension for. Anyway, I'll see what I can post when I get home.

FYI, I was able to locate a user on ebay that offered a print of the 700 receiver - wdshpbiz . He runs under "western sky publishing" on his paperwork. I can't post it because I didn't do the leg work on the plans, but plans are available out there.

Oooohhhh, I will go see if I can find it. Thanks so much for letting me know.

I have several drawings of the R700. If you have a receiver on hand, it's easy to blueprint for yourself, since there are not many features there to dimension for. Anyway, I'll see what I can post when I get home.

I do not own a R700, otherwise I'd be 3D modeling it already. If you would be willing to share, I would really appreciate it

I found one blueprint on my laptop that has no credentials with it. I know I have more prints and even solidworks drawings on another computer's library. Bear with me...

Back