Just finished making my SB 13" Carriage Stop

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know some like using a dial indicator type stop for their lathe carriages and, although I have a magnetic hockey puck one, I prefer a nice, hard, positive stop. So, since my 13" SB didn't have one when I bought it, I decided to make one. I had made one around 40 years ago for my SB 15" and I pretty much copied the design I used for that one. The biggest difference was for the 15" one I used a left hand tap that I must have borrowed from work where this one I used right hand since that's all I have available to me now. I'll just have to remember to turn this one in the opposite direction! I stamped it in the opposite direction so that shouldn't be too hard to remember. Seems like every machine I have has different dial graduations anyways so it helps keep me on my toes.

Took some measurements from the lathe ways and carriage (the spot where the casting has a spot for the carriage stop to hit) and drew it up in Fusion 360. Boy I love that program!

The earlier one, I made out of a weldment of a round piece of stock welded to a rectangular one so I drew up the outline that way. But, I found I had a nice piece of aluminum block just the right size so used that instead. The outside shape has no impact on the function.

Just finished up by stamping the numbers this afternoon and thought I'd share.

Ted

SB 13 Carriage Stop Fusion 360 Model.jpgSB 13 Carriage Stop.jpg

I made up a positive stop for my 19" Regal lathe; I found this micrometer stop on E Bay, it was from a stop used on a 14" Monarch toolroom lathe, and has a 20 TPI screw and 1" travel. I made the mounting block of cast iron, to suit and made it with the clamp bolt underneath the stop, like LeBlond does on the lathe's original stop, which had a limited range.
I also show a pair of step gages that I frequently use in conjunction with the lathe stop, they are made of 0-1 tool steel, hardened and drawn and ground to close limits for nominal size in steps of 1/16th inch from 1/8" to 1 inch; using both by stacking you can measure from 1/8" up to 1 9/16 inches, combined with 1-2-3 blocks vastly increases the range, and of course can be used for many other shop tasks as well. The sizes are engraved on both sides to avoid confusion and mistakes in using them. Their design I copied from a Mare Island Shipyard toolmaker apprentice project made by Daniel M. Nickell, who was the grandfather of my high school girlfriend.

stop and step gages 001.JPG

stop and step gages 002.JPG

stop and step gages 003.JPG

Another lathe stop.
Here is a lathe stop that is positive and retracts out of the way as necessary; a pivoting spring loaded lever locks into the slots on the rod; when desired to move the rod from on slot to another the handle is tipped towards the operator which rocks the lever out of the slot, the rod is then slid in or out of the stop body; the rod pictured has 1/2 inch steps between slots, and a threaded adjustable screw in the end of the stop rod allows fine adjustments, and other rods can be made with different distance steps, as the one pictured in the background. This design was copied from a Warner Swasey turret lathe.

another lathe stop 001.JPG

another lathe stop 002.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Ted. When I get some time I have a carriage stop on my list of tools to make for my 13.
Yours is clean and simple.
Thanks for posting

Back