Just got a Model 40 Index Mill

...if you...were starting out and had no tooling...what direction would you go?

An additional option is to send the spindle to index and have them convert to r8?...

I bought my Index Super 55 with very little tooling. My decision to retain the B&S #9, rather than have it modified, was much more expensive, in the long run. And I very much regret not having Wells modify it for what would have turned out to be a bargain price.

I bought my Index Super 55 with very little tooling. My decision to retain the B&S #9, rather than have it modified, was much more expensive, in the long run. And I very much regret not having Wells modify it for what would have turned out to be a bargain price.
Thanks ezduzit

this is precisely what I am trying to figure out

some of the threads over at PM talk about the MT #9 tooling being a much more secure fit than collets

but I am guessing what you would say is it is still cheaper to regrind to r8, use collets as needed and then fit straight r8 tools as needed b/c r8 stuff will always be cheaper?

thanks

by the way...although i see tons and tons of r8 tool holding pieces (collects, etc), i don't see that much direct tools with r8 shanks - maybe i am just looking in the wrong places?

wondering if anyone else has a thought on this...time is coming to start buying tooling - could start on ebay and start buying old B&S #9 stuff...or convert...or???

There are not a lot of tools with R8 holders, you can get drill chucks, Weldon end mill holders, adjustable boring bars, shell mill holders, fly cutters, I think some face mills can be attached to specific R8 shanks. But collets cover a wide range of tooling, not just end mills. I started out with R8's and haven't wished for anything else. I'd recommend the change.

thanks Tom

if one has Index do the conversion, what exactly needs to go to them?

thanks

You can put together a small set of import BS#9 collets to get started with, that's what I did and I'll probably stay with that. I'm adding a thrust bearing to the drawbar so I won't have to hammer on it any more.
Mark

let me refine the question:

is there as broad an array of tooling available in BS9 as R8?

if so, how much more (% wise...roughly) is the BS9 going to be over R8 - on the one hand bs9 is much more expensive new, on the other hand there is lots [??] on ebay at much lower prices?

B&S 9 tooling is rare and expensive, with very limited options. R8 is cheap and plentiful, with virtually unlimited options.

Back