Just got a Model 40 Index Mill

WillieP

Registered
Registered
Yesterday, I brought home an Index Model 40 mill. A friend who lives in a somewhat rural area discovered that a fairly close by neighbor had a home shop and was selling this mill having just "replaced" it with a Bridgeport. (Considering that his shop is a couple of few thousand square feet...well let's just say, I would have kept both!) Anyway, the (previous) owner lifted it onto my friends trailer, we strapped it down and drove it to my house. At that point, we realized that the 2 ton engine hoist would not be able to lift it high enough. So, I called a tow truck company and the driver was able to easily lift it off and into the mouth of my garage onto riggers skates. That did not work so well since they popped into the hollow base when I tried to move it! After a comedy of errors trying to get it back onto the skates, I realized that the engine hoist did fine to lift it onto a dolly and there it resides until I can finalize the wiring at its eventual final location.

Details on the mill: s/n 6130 (have not dated it yet, mid 50's?): B&S#9 spindle; provision for quill feed (mounting holes) but no feed; single phase motors, main and X-axis power feed, with reversing switches for both (need to check if currently wired for low or high voltage); "Z" type collet holder and collets; Bridgeport 6 inch milling vise.
Overall, the machine appears to be in nice shape with very little wear. There are some major chips in the paint around the edges. But, all of the ways are clean with prominant scraping patterns evident. Manual manipulation of all 3 axes indicates little backlash.
I will post photos soon when I figure out how. (I am a new member and this is my first post besides new member intro).

Well, I am replying to my own thread. I emailed Wells-Index yesterday and got this reply early this morning:
We are the company that originally manufactured your mill. The original "Index" company started around 1940 in Jackson, MI and the name was changed to "Wells-Index" around 1971 when Wells Mfg. bought the company and moved it Three Rivers, MI. A&D Machinery bought Wells-Index in 1987 and moved it to Muskegon, MI.
Your model 40 shipped in June 1955. It shipped with a table power feed, 1/2 HP single phase motor and # 9 Brown and Sharpe spindle taper. The spindle/quill feed was an option that was not ordered on this mill.
A manual for your machine is $42.00 plus $5.50 shipping. It is basically a parts manual with exploded views and parts lists.
We have parts for your machine and for those that we don't have there are used or prints available. we do not have a quill power feed for it.
The # 9 Brown and Sharpe spindle taper can be reground to the R-8 taper for $265.00. You will also need a new drawbar which costs $81.38.
Please contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Rick Robison
Wells-Index Division
A & D Machinery Company
701 West Clay Ave.
Muskegon, MI 49440

I am going to leave the BS#9 spindle for now. I wired in a power cord plug and discovered that it is not only a single phase machine, but that the motors are set up for normal low voltage 115. I tried it out and everything seems fine. I will be making chips soon!

Rick at W-I has been a great help in getting my 860 mill up to speed as well. It's great to have some knowledgeable support on these older machines.

Now, I'd like to see some of those pics of your 40. ;)

If you can't get the pic thing figured out you can try e-mailing them to me and I'll post them for you.

-Ron

I have a Index 40 as well. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
New to me last year, mine is equipped with the power downfeed, B&S #9, have oddball collet holder and a few collets. There is a Evil-Bay dealer with #9 taper. Mine was DRO equipped when I bought it. Originally it had the power feed on the table, but removed prior to my ownership. One day I will restore the power feed.

Hope to trade Index 40 tips with you.

Charlie

Congratulations on your mill. I also have a Model 40 Index Mill (serial #552) I just adapted a power feed for the x axis, the others are all manual. Still have a things to hammer out.
I also would like to trade Index 40 tips.

mhooper

I have a Index 40 as well. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
New to me last year, mine is equipped with the power downfeed, B&S #9, have oddball collet holder and a few collets. There is a Evil-Bay dealer with #9 taper. Mine was DRO equipped when I bought it. Originally it had the power feed on the table, but removed prior to my ownership. One day I will restore the power feed.

Hope to trade Index 40 tips with you.

Charlie

I am curious. What brand of DRO is on your Index 40? :thinking: I was thinking of putting DRO on mine if I could find an appropriate set up at the right price. I know there are quite a few that promise to fit nearly anything. But, knowing which one that actually is being used is a good starting point.

Willie
The DRO that I have is old, I think the company has gone under. Anyways the brand is Sargon model " gold Metal" . The X axis scale is mounted up front, and blocks the lube hole as well as the slot for stops. Really simple affair. The Y is mounting to the right with fabricated stand-off. One of the days I will move the X scale to the back of the bed so I can get the slot free up front for travel stops. Might lose 3/4" in the Y though.
Just checked mine...serial no. 3023

I can snap a photo or two if you like

Charlie

Last edited:
About the parts manual for your machine it is Not Worth the $42.00 plus $5.50 shipping. It is basically a parts manual with exploded views and parts lists.
I bought one for mine, and it is just Junk, they copyed on a printer, I would put it on here but I think it went to the round file when we were cleaning the shop this summer.

For those that have an Index 40, what machinist vise do you use?

the T slots I think measure 4.5" on center

would a 4 inch Kurt fit that (with the long direction running parallel to the long direction of the table)?

thanks

Back