Just Got My First Lathe - Sheldon Xl - 56

Cody Killgore

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I'm pretty new here. I just got my first lathe (and milling machine) in my shop. Bought them both from a local guy and am looking forward to trying them out. Although, the first thing I'm going to do, is clean them both up real well.

The lathe is a Sheldon XL - 56. I am about as noobie as it gets when it comes to machining. I have never used a lathe or milling machine before. I have been scouring the web trying to learn what all the knobs and levers are.

On the back side of the carriage is this "thing". I don't know what it is or what it is used for. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure you experienced guys will take one look at this and know precisely what it is for.

Cody

Sheldon1.jpg

Hello all,

I'm pretty new here. I just got my first lathe (and milling machine) in my shop. Bought them both from a local guy and am looking forward to trying them out. Although, the first thing I'm going to do, is clean them both up real well.

The lathe is a Sheldon XL - 56. I am about as noobie as it gets when it comes to machining. I have never used a lathe or milling machine before. I have been scouring the web trying to learn what all the knobs and levers are.

On the back side of the carriage is this "thing". I don't know what it is or what it is used for. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure you experienced guys will take one look at this and know precisely what it is for.

Cody

View attachment 96608

It appears to be a taper attachment to this newbie. MORE PICS PLEASE

Yep, that is a taper attachment and almost all Sheldons except the "Metalworker" came with one. Very handy device when you learn how to use it. Check eBay for a book called "The Care and Operation Of A Lathe" published by Sheldon. Lots of good stuff including how to use your taper attachment.

P.S. The taper attachment is missing some parts, mainly the clamp that secures the threaded rod to the back of the ways. No big deal, you can make those now that you have a mill :)

I'm in Palestine, Tx., not too awful far from you. Any more machinery near you cause I'm jonesing for more equipment especially a mill. jw
image.jpg

Okay great. Thanks guys.

Randy, I will definitely look for the book! Thanks for the tip.

Johnwrite, these came from an old dentist near here. These were really the only two machines he had. He used to do gunsmith work. Cool little Jet!
I'll see if I can take some more pictures tomorrow when I get back out to the shop. The mill I got was a 1991 Enco Knee mill model 100-1525. Man that sucker was heavy, :grin:

The Enco seems to be a Bridgeport clone, should be a pretty good mill. Any tooling come with it? If you tire of it, I might have a place to park it .....bwaaaahhaaaaahhaaaaaa.

had one before a little small for me but a great lathe with a lot of posibilities a little noisy but that about the only negative i got to say
about a sheldon lathe

Snapped this picture this morning. Oh and I wouldn't get my hopes up on me tiring of the milling machine. I haven't even gotten the power hooked up to it yet, lol

Sheldon2.jpg

I see that the PO had removed the old lantern tool post and installed a QCTP. There is an expense that you won't have to face. On the mill, do you have three phase or are you going with a VFD?

I see that the PO had removed the old lantern tool post and installed a QCTP. There is an expense that you won't have to face. On the mill, do you have three phase or are you going with a VFD?

Yeah, I was glad to see that tool post on there. I already have a VFD here for it. I just haven't wired it up yet.

Back