Just got my J head - things to do? and parts?

I was thinking the same thing, add a line or something to get oil in there without messing with a set screw and table position, etc.
I'm getting set up to take teh table off, and the saddle. The knee, I may try to see if I can clean out well enough without disassembly.

I was thinking the same thing, add a line or something to get oil in there without messing with a set screw and table position, etc.

It sure beats having to take the vise off every time you want to oil them! I don't understand why the engineers at Bridgeport ever designed them that way...

Ted

Rigged up a lightweight gantry crane with Unistrut, one of my favorite things. Got the table and the saddle removed. The ways are pretty good, I think - the scrape marks are mostly still there. Got a bunch of grease to clean out. Have to get the lead screws and nuts cleaned up, then I can check into wear / upgrade the nuts. This far in, I might as well.

If your machine has the long, one piece X & Y nuts you can split those and then adjust them for a tighter backlash. I need to do this to mine. It beats buying or making new ones!

Ted

Noticed the nut on the big bevel gear on the knee drive was loose. Rigged up an elec-trac lift as a winch / hoist for my gantry crane. Took the Knee drive shaft out, to clean the crud out from under the bevel gear. Got the X & Y nuts out, and cut them.

Looks good. When you put the table back on watch the copper pipe where it enters the nut housing. There isn't much clearance there and the table might hit it. It was very close on mine.

Ted

Yes, it is very close. I noticed just before I was going to put the table back on. Had to use a wood block and light hammer to form the tube nicely to the nut.

Back