Just got my Logan Lathe

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
P1010029.JPG P1010026.JPG P1010027.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010024.JPG P1010036.JPG P1010035.JPG Finally, after waiting a while due to weather, the PO delivered my 10x24 Logan. Haven't got a chance to use it yet as I just got it together late last night. I will say: do not attempt to put it together on your own! I had an engine hoist and it was still a tough go. I have plugged it in to make sure it ran (embarrassed to say why I had to make sure it ran). It has a 1hp Atlas motor. It started and ran fine in the owners shop but I have to give it a turn by hand to get in going so I'm assuming I have a wiring issue in my basement. Haven't checked voltage etc at the outlet yet. There are attachments that I don't know how to use. Everything works, all the feeds, speeds, etc. I've attached some photo's. The last photo shows why I was embarrassed, guess what happened.
Really looking forward to using it.

Last edited:
Doh! Fender bender with a lathe! Doesn't look like you 'turned turtle', so how'd you manage that!?

Meanwhile you have a very tidy specimen there....and I'm partial to Logan's as that what my Dad had in the shop growing up.

Ray

congrats on the new lathe, But how did you damage that fender? thomas s

The wiring issue may well be the start capacitor on the motor. These wear out, might be a good time to replace it. Just find the size and shop the bay for a deal.

Karl

Nice lathe! I'm with Karl on the start capacitor as the most likely problem although it might also be dirty starter contacts. Many of the older Atlas motors were made by Kingston-Conley. They are nice motors and well worth fixing, capacitors are cheap. K-C also made most of the Walker-Turner motors.

Oh there is a section of this site just for Logans (we let people with Rockwell and Sheldon equipment post there also :) )

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/sheldon-logan-rockwell-machines.93/

Last edited:
A really stupid thing. I had put casters on it to move it where I wanted it. I jacked up one end (the tail stock) to remove the casters and didn't have the pedestal down. The leg on this one is adjustable. It fell over on its side. I guess I'm lucky that the bike kept it from hitting tne floor. I guess that I'm unlucky that it hit the bike. I'll call it a wash.

Bummer on the tipover! I must admit that you have a nice Logan 200 there with lots of accessories. The 5C collet chuck and set of 5C collets is a nice addition as well. About the only things I did not see are a steady rest, follow rest, and taper attachment, but you've got enough other odds and ends to make up for it!

One thing I meant to mention was that the change gears are not for this lathe. The PO said that the hole was too large for the shafts. I'll measure them. He had thought of sleeving them down to fit. I wonder if they might be for a logan with a gear box?

Bummer on the tipover! I must admit that you have a nice Logan 200 there with lots of accessories. The 5C collet chuck and set of 5C collets is a nice addition as well. About the only things I did not see are a steady rest, follow rest, and taper attachment, but you've got enough other odds and ends to make up for it!
I wish it did have a steady & follow rest. I think a good project will be to make them after I get some experience

Back