[4]

Just joined the WI family

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
Just got a Wells-Index 55 moved to my shop today! I previously had a precision Mathews PM25MV, of which I was super happy with, but could always use something larger. Well I happen to be cruising craigslist and saw the index up for sale for a decent price and decided to go take a look at it. Went and looked at the mill and it's in pretty good condition for it's age, and I got talking with the gentleman and found out he really wanted more garage space, but really wanted a mill still....An idea came to mind. I threw out an offer not thinking it would go anywhere, but I offered him my PM25MV for the index....and the guy went for it after looking it up. Super cool! So not only do I get a bigger mill, he gets exactly what he's looking for as well. Win-Win. He even threw in a rotary table, a vice, and some other odds and ends. I still need to get it in it's final location in the shop, but I'm excited to clean it up and start playing with it.

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Good find! I'm happy to see all the recent activity on the W-I forum

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Nice- looks clean too
I don't think I could ever go backwards like that but good for you that he did
Mark
ps which taper does it take?

azshadeguy

Registered
Good deal email Wells Index the serial number and they will tell you the year it was made

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
Nice- looks clean too
I don't think I could ever go backwards like that but good for you that he did
Mark
ps which taper does it take?
The spindle was recently reground by WI for R8. He had the receipt and everything to show it.

It's fairly clean. definitely needs some adjusting, and the table needs to be stoned very badly, but overall I'm very happy with the swap.

Yeah, I'll definitely do that. I'd love to know when it was made.

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
Just got a Wells-Index 55 moved to my shop today! I previously had a precision Mathews PM25MV, of which I was super happy with, but could always use something larger. Well I happen to be cruising craigslist and saw the index up for sale for a decent price and decided to go take a look at it. Went and looked at the mill and it's in pretty good condition for it's age, and I got talking with the gentleman and found out he really wanted more garage space, but really wanted a mill still....An idea came to mind. I threw out an offer not thinking it would go anywhere, but I offered him my PM25MV for the index....and the guy went for it after looking it up. Super cool! So not only do I get a bigger mill, he gets exactly what he's looking for as well. Win-Win. He even threw in a rotary table, a vice, and some other odds and ends. I still need to get it in it's final location in the shop, but I'm excited to clean it up and start playing with it.
That's fantastic that you are both getting what you need from the deal. Good luck with that machine.

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
The table needs to have a stone run over it to remove the burrs created by dropping something on the table.
Yup...or in my case....where someone milled into the table...several times...haha

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
thanks. I actually have a bunch of tools on loan to the local makerspace. This mill being one (and the southbend in the background as well). So that's my makerspace you're seeing. An awesome place for sure.

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
ok, so trying to get this guy trammed and notice there is no way to adjust the head front to back. How exactly does one tram the head front to back?

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The only way to tram the head properly front to back is by rescraping the knee back square with the column ways and hopefully allow the front to back to be reading "0". You actually want it to read high in front by about 0.0005" to 0.0010". How much out is it?

Edit: Did you take the slop out the vertical knee movement by cranking it up slightly before taking measurments?

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
ok, so i'll have to play with it a it more tomorrow, but yes i did take slop out by cranking it up...

that said, i did not do the measurement with the knee (or x and y) locked, nor have i adjusted the knee gib yet. Rookie mistake!

it's out quite a bit. initial readings are almost .010 over 6" :concerned:

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That's a lot. For an older mill as you have there that doesn't surprise me. There can be wear in both x and y that adds to this indicated measurement.

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
Ok, well i got her all tightened up today. The knee was super sloppy and the grub screw was actually painted over, so it's been at a minimum 15 years since it was adjusted. :rolleyes:

So the good news is that the tram is about .0005 over 6 inches now, and the nod is around .0045. I'm not super happy with it, but it kinda is what it is i guess.

So on to the next oddity...the spindle was reground to R8 by WI in 2001...I went to go change tools today and to my surprise, there is no anti-rotation stud inside the spindle... How exactly does that work? I can't tighten the drawbar without the collet spinning.

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Is it possibly broken off?

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
When the spindle is reground to a R-8, they do not drill and tap a hole for the dog point set screw. The spindle is harden. What you have to do is hold the collet still while you make up the draw bar. You only need about an 1/2 of threads engaging the collet or arbor. My mill had a setscrew in the spindle. I took the set screw out and tossed it in the trash. They can cause trouble in life that will turn things into nightmare in a heart beat.
If you are having troubles making up the drawbar, pull the draw bar and clean the threads and chase the threads with a die nut to remove any damage to the threads. Clean the threads in the collet. It's hard, be careful trying to chase the threads, could break off a tap. Ken

Edit: Glad you were able to get some of the alignment issues resolved by a little bit. Sounds better anyways.

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
hmmm...I guess I'll have to do that as I can thread the drawbar in most of the way and then the collet just starts spinning when it gets to the point where i can't really grip the collet anymore.

On the bright side, I got the vice mounted and machined a step in the jaws. The powerfeed works great and is such a handy feature!

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
So just an update...i chased the threads on the drawbar and she works like a charm now. Thanks for the help on that.

dmittz

Registered
Nice work on the drawbar and congrats on getting the mill. I love the look of it.

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
thanks. I've been using it pretty hard while I've been converting my CNC mill over to linear rails. Overall i'm very pleased with it. I only have 2 things that I think i still need to address

1st is the main drive pulley. I think the drive spline is a bit worn in the pulley as it makes a noticeably loud clanking noise until you really put load on the spindle. Then it gets super quite.

2nd is the quill powerfeed. I had a custom belt made from mcmaster but there is a lot of resistance on the pulley which resulted in the belt just slipping. It might work, but the little spring that tensions the belt just doesn't cut it.

[5] [7]