Just joined the WI family

thanks. I actually have a bunch of tools on loan to the local makerspace. This mill being one (and the southbend in the background as well). So that's my makerspace you're seeing. An awesome place for sure.

ok, so trying to get this guy trammed and notice there is no way to adjust the head front to back. How exactly does one tram the head front to back?

The only way to tram the head properly front to back is by rescraping the knee back square with the column ways and hopefully allow the front to back to be reading "0". You actually want it to read high in front by about 0.0005" to 0.0010". How much out is it?

Edit: Did you take the slop out the vertical knee movement by cranking it up slightly before taking measurments?

ok, so i'll have to play with it a it more tomorrow, but yes i did take slop out by cranking it up...

that said, i did not do the measurement with the knee (or x and y) locked, nor have i adjusted the knee gib yet. Rookie mistake!

it's out quite a bit. initial readings are almost .010 over 6" :concerned:

That's a lot. For an older mill as you have there that doesn't surprise me. There can be wear in both x and y that adds to this indicated measurement.

Ok, well i got her all tightened up today. The knee was super sloppy and the grub screw was actually painted over, so it's been at a minimum 15 years since it was adjusted. :rolleyes:

So the good news is that the tram is about .0005 over 6 inches now, and the nod is around .0045. I'm not super happy with it, but it kinda is what it is i guess.

So on to the next oddity...the spindle was reground to R8 by WI in 2001...I went to go change tools today and to my surprise, there is no anti-rotation stud inside the spindle... How exactly does that work? I can't tighten the drawbar without the collet spinning.

Is it possibly broken off?

When the spindle is reground to a R-8, they do not drill and tap a hole for the dog point set screw. The spindle is harden. What you have to do is hold the collet still while you make up the draw bar. You only need about an 1/2 of threads engaging the collet or arbor. My mill had a setscrew in the spindle. I took the set screw out and tossed it in the trash. They can cause trouble in life that will turn things into nightmare in a heart beat.
If you are having troubles making up the drawbar, pull the draw bar and clean the threads and chase the threads with a die nut to remove any damage to the threads. Clean the threads in the collet. It's hard, be careful trying to chase the threads, could break off a tap. Ken

Edit: Glad you were able to get some of the alignment issues resolved by a little bit. Sounds better anyways.

Back