Just One More

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Grizzly G0602 has three radial holes in the spindle for the purpose of securing the spindle when installing or removing a chuck.According to the user manual, you are supposed to use the second chuck key as a tommy bar with those holes. Well the chuck key didn't fit but no problem, I made a tommy bar However, the holes were only about 5/16" deep so there was a great deal of force at the edge of the hole which was slowly distorting the hole.

A better solution was to use a spanner wrench as it locates the fulcrum on the opposite side of the spindle. Now, I could probably buy one; McMaster sells one which would fit for $42. But what the hey, I'm a machinist, right? Why buy when I can make?

To start, I repurposed a previously bent piece of 1/4" x 5/8" stainless, unknown alloy but 300 series. It was already bent into a "p" shape which saved a bunch of blacksmithing work. I needed a curve for 2.6"diameter while the original curve was about had a diameter of about 3.5" but a little tweaking with a persuader resulted in the right curvature. I used a 5/16" dowel pin for the pin welding it with 6011 rod.

The piece was too short so I needed an extension. I selected a piece of the same stock for the extension, While I could have joined the two pieces with a butt joint, I elected to use a cleft joint. The end of one piece is notched while the mating piece is pointed and the two are fit together and welded. This results in a stronger joint. I welded the joint, again using 6011 rod. The welds were cleaned up and the handle cut to length. A hole was added for hanging purposes. Some file work, sanding, and a length of heat shrink for my personal comfort and the wrench was complete.Spanner .JPG

Nice job, RJ. Keep your ideas coming - lots to learn from you.

I didn't know you could weld stainless with 6011- did you use ac?
Mark

I didn't know you could weld stainless with 6011- did you use ac?
Mark
Yes, I used AC. I don't know how the weld stacks up to a proper weld and it surely won't be corrosion resistant but I have done so in the past with success. It forms a nice bead and is certainly strong enough to handle the task at hand.

It helps to not know that you can't do it.

We have welded stainless steel, refractory retaining rings in boilers, using Murex Easy Arc E6011C welding rod, for 30+ years, with no issues.

I like it and will be making something similar for mine.

Now that you mention it, I noticed mine is starting to deform too. I just cut off the the worn end of my tommy bar and refitted it. I should take time to make an appropriate spanner. Grizzly's too cheap to give you one with the purchase of a new lathe.

Not too long ago I fired up my forge and finally made a pin spanner for the lathe spindle:
bc1871cdcb1244dd3665c425b911980c.jpg

Back