Just ordered a 1030 lathe and PM-25 Mill

andgott

Registered
Registered
I am new to machine work- I have an old, 9" x 24" Atlas lathe that I picked up for a few hundred dollars a while back to play with, to see if I would enjoy using it, and if I would get any use out of a lathe in my shop. I really like it- Even though it's old, tired, and underpowered it gave me a good introduction to lathes and what they are capable of doing.

I have been looking for a decent used lathe, but there hasn't been anything available here other than the 7" Chinese models... I decided that if I was going to spend the money, I might as well spend enough to get a decent tool. I had been shopping for a Grizzly, but then I found the PM tools, and after reading up on them, decided that it was the way to go.

I ordered a PM-1030V today. There happened to be one left in stock, so I shouldn't have to wait too long. I also ordered a PM-25 mill as well. It looked like it had a lot more going for it than the Grizzly, for not too much more money. I am really looking forward to getting them.

This forum is great, BTW... I have read a lot of posts here already, gathering info. It is a lot more friendly here than a lot of Machinist forums, for sure... Especially for a newcomer like me!

Welcome aboard!

I have the PM1022. You will enjoy the 1030.

Yes welcome! I think you will enjoy it here. There is a lot of good info and a lot of really great guys who will give you a hand when needed. Let us know how you like your new machines also!

Welcome andgott

Thanks for the welcome....

I am looking forward to getting them! I actually just changed my mind, though. I cancelled the order for the 25v and ordered a 30v instead! I decided that I wanted to make SURE I had all the machine that I'd need for a while. I probably could have done everything I need with the 25, but I've never bought a tool and then later thought to myself, "Man, I should have bought the smaller, less powerful one"- However there has been more than one occasion that I have wished I'd have upsized!!

It'll give me time to get 'used' to the lathe before the mill gets here. they are 6-7 weeks out. The lathe is in stock, so I should get it much sooner.

Thanks for the welcome....

I am looking forward to getting them! I actually just changed my mind, though. I cancelled the order for the 25v and ordered a 30v instead! I decided that I wanted to make SURE I had all the machine that I'd need for a while. I probably could have done everything I need with the 25, but I've never bought a tool and then later thought to myself, "Man, I should have bought the smaller, less powerful one"- However there has been more than one occasion that I have wished I'd have upsized!!

It'll give me time to get 'used' to the lathe before the mill gets here. they are 6-7 weeks out. The lathe is in stock, so I should get it much sooner.

The PM30 was the machine I wanted when I was shopping for a small bench mill. But Matt stopped carrying the earlier version and so my choices were the PM25 or the 932. At that time I didn't have the room for the 932 so went with the 25. It worked out well if you stayed within it's work envelope. But the 30 would have been better for doing what i do.

I have a 1340GT lathe because I wanted a no-change-gear gearbox in a good quality machine. I don't need this much machine for what I do, but it was the best compromise between what I really wanted (Hardinge HLV or Sharp clone), and what I could afford.

There are always compromises. For me anyways. :)

As a fellow newby hobbiest I think you'll be pleased with the PM equipment and if needed the support - my experience with PM equipment has been encouraging
Alex

So, the order has changed yet again... Turns out they didn't have a 1030 in stock- It was an incorrectly labelled 1027. So, I'm going to get an 1130 instead. Luckily it'll fit on the bench I already built. Should be shipping next week. I've already spent WAY too much on tools :)

I finally got a tracking number today. It took almost three weeks from the order date to ship, but it's coming. Should be here first part of next week.

Hi Andgott,

It's been 7 weeks since I ordered my PM30MV, so hopefully we'll be hearing something about our mills soon.

I'll bet you are anxiously waiting for the new lathe to show up, good luck with it.

Steve

Back