Just Ordered A G0704. Let The Fun Begin!

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
New to the forum. Thought I would share a funny story...

Working on my motorcycle fitting wheels that are not for my bike, so a few modifications are required...

Need to remove 1/4" from the caliper mount points to realign with the brake rotor...

b8d428c4-f896-4f56-8c61-a589ec75fd1b_zps1mtcbeui.jpg

f8436132-a451-47d6-9827-89d0f6d36a13_zpsij0d138y.jpg

a4b901e3-aa62-4198-8295-273cebd5ef2b_zpsdeanap7n.jpg

I have one of these: 1/3 hp craftman bench drill press

spin_prod_835607712_zps0ly0rlcc.jpg

I thought that I could order one of these: Shop Fox D2730 3-Inch Cross Sliding Vise

41EJKZklqL._SX355__zpsw1dddgwc.jpg

some milling bits

6ba6f657-c5c4-48bf-955d-6fed5f56a002_zpshitqwmgv.jpg

03adc623-27c6-4564-88e7-21ebe7ceecb7_zpsvxmk8l8q.jpg

And be done with it... just to double check, I posted this on the Garage Journal forum...boy was I in for a surprise... quickly learned that a drill press was no replacement for anything that needed lateral forces... so the plan that I had was not the correct approach. Several folks there, that I am grateful for, recommended many different approaches.

Now, I tend to look for any excuse to get tools... someone suggested that I used a milling machine... go to a machine shop and let them do it, use a file and just take my time, etc... but it was the perfect excuse to finally get a milling machine... could not resist doing so...

While I was reading and looking at machines, I went ahead and order a few accessories (ordered the 13/16" 4 Flutes Square End Mill, a vise, some different 4 flute square end mills, fly cutter set, clamping kit, collet set, 1-2-3 blocks, etc)...

I was looking at the Mini... because of the use I will give it, made no sense to get anything bigger... or so I thought...

image_11326_zpsbunftta2.jpg

But then I read about the gear breaking and folks recommending going with the kit to modify it for belt use... so add the cost of that kit (true, not needed from the get go, but it will be required down the line) but when I added the cost of the belt conversion kit, it is close to the next one in size...

c40e3736-86d7-4ebe-85e4-e94bfd5a275c_zpsylayesr3.jpg

But that second one does not include a table...and I needed one... Can you guys see where I am going with this???

This deal from Grizzly (a G0705) is the same machine HF has but with the base/stand... for a couple hundred more....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand-29-inch-x-8-inch-Table/G0705

g0705-55d1d35dd813a0ef7aa290767338c7ac.jpg

Additional 25.00 off shipping cost for signing up for their email news...

Then someone posted... "oh Wachuko, but that is a round collar mill...you should really look for one with a square column" and I am going inside my head, "yeah? so??". I then start reading about round collar mill vs square column mills... then someone mentions the G0704... by now my head is spinning... and I am asking the forum members for help...is the G0704 a better alternative to the G0705 ??? .

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704

g0704-fe5f587761b80952c5b7580f75b5701f_zpszt3u8zpi.jpg

This is the time when another forum member in the Garage Journal site, tells me to take a deep breath and come here to read some more and learn before buying... yeah.. that helped!... I felt like it was going to be 2017 before I could make a decision... you see... then I start reading about CNC conversion kits... I learn that the PM-25MV is similar but with a few more upgrades... arghhhhh!!!

As someone mentioned, I could have used a nail file and I would have been riding my bike by now... anyway... I kept reading, watched videos, looked at the lead times for the delivery of one versus the other... and just made the choice of going with the Grizzly G0704 - Drill/Mill with Stand. I really liked the upgrades that the PM-25MV includes, but I just could not wait that long for it to arrive... So the order was placed today and now I wait for it to arrive!!

I sure hope that I have made the right decision... this is for my garage at home... to make stuff for the bike and small stuff for projects that I have with my cars... and really, just to learn how to make something from a block of metal. My dad was good with all this, and I never learned. With him now gone, I feel like I need to start doing some of this and teach my son as well...

You guys have a great site here!! Looking forward to learning a lot!!

BTW, this is the bike...mounting wheels from a Fat Bob Dyna on a Sportster 48...

30874c6a-2735-4529-8653-fbd8a92d3707_zpspth54bzy.jpg

One of this days, I will share the time when I went out for milk and eggs and came back with a car...

I needed to make some mods way back in the day of the original '86 GSXR 1100 when I stuffed that motor into a 750 frame to make a lighter racebike. :)

Soon you'll end up like the rest of us here... :devil:

Wachuko,
I too just got a G0704 about 3 weeks ago and am very happy with it.
I actually drove to Springfield , Mo to pick it up with the wife as an excuse for a mini vacation. :) She thought that was a good idea. Lucky me.
I also have been researching about the gear problems with these Mills but so far it has worked great without even a grunt.
Replacement gears are cheap and are in stock at Springfield store.
Flycut some 1/2" aluminum plate with my homemade Flycutter with no problem, and made a couple of AXA tool holders.
I'll probably put the belt drive on it when I get a good set of plans to make the parts.

You'll have a good machine when you get all set up and start using it.
Just make sure to clean the shipping goo off real good and lube it up after. I just used some WD40 and Simple Green cleaner with the Blue heavy paper towels.

Mike, that is great to read. I will be sure to get some scrap material, from the local supply store, to play with it before I hit that brake caliper.

I might just order a spare gear to have it in stock, just in case...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Mike, that is great to read. I will be sure to get some scrap material, from the local supply store, to play with it before I hit that brake caliper.

I might just order a spare gear to have it in stock, just in case...

Thank you!

Good idea as the gears go out of stock frequently and you would be SOL without a gear. Check out Hossmachine at g0704.com for lots of info on your new machine. You can also download the manual at the grizzly sight so you can read up on your new baby.

You will be happy with the choice you made - the round column mills are tough to keep in alignment. There are lots of great videos on you tube that can help you learn how to get the most out of your machine, set ups, tooling, speeds and feeds, etc. Best of luck and welcome to a great forum -- Jack

BTW Wachuko,
When you get a 1/2" hold down set, you will have to mill a few thousandths off each side of the T nuts to get them to slide in the table slots.
I think the T slots are 12mm metric. I had to do that on mine and have heard of others having to do the same.

I wonder what Matt charges for the X Axis feed setup that would fit the G0704 since it's about the same as his PM 25.
Griz wants $300 for theirs.

BTW Wachuko,
When you get a 1/2" hold down set, you will have to mill a few thousandths off each side of the T nuts to get them to slide in the table slots.
I think the T slots are 12mm metric. I had to do that on mine and have heard of others having to do the same.

I did not think nor checked before ordering... yes, I ordered the 1/2" hold down set... reading the specs on the table it is actually 7/16" :disillusion: (11.17 mm), doh!

• T-slots: 3 @ 2-1/2" centers, 7/16" wide
Like you said, I will modify them to fit instead of returning it and ordering another set... the T-nuts are the only part that need to be modify as the rest is the same that comes in the two kits. Bolts are 3/8" in both...

Thank you!

Good idea as the gears go out of stock frequently and you would be SOL without a gear. Check out Hossmachine at g0704.com for lots of info on your new machine. You can also download the manual at the grizzly sight so you can read up on your new baby.

:encourage: User manual, parts diagram, spec sheet... all downloaded!!

I need to figure out which gear is the one that goes... let me research that so that I can place that order next week.

Back