Just Ordered A Pm1440e-lb Lathe And Pm940m-pdf Mill

I cleaned up, adjusted, lubricated, and wired up the lathe this evening. All went very well. All of the safety devices work, speeds and controls work perfectly. It was smooth and the noise was appropriate for this machine. It wasn't loud or making noises not to be expected. I was very pleased to see it run. Now I need to precision level it and dial it in. The DRO was very responsive and easy to read. This was a great addition without a doubt. The only issue I have is the ball oilers are varying sizes that don't all accept the same oiler nozzle. It's not a big deal, I just need to find another oiler with a smaller nozzle to oil the smaller ports. The mill requires a larger one. It's all part of tooling up I suppose.

Heh, the different sized ball oilers is my biggest nitpick as well. Come on, is it really that difficult to have a single size?

Gentlemen, the new motor arrived today. I installed it and we are all set now.

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

Well, I spent some time getting the machines level. I have the lathe's bed twist down to about .0015 over the length. One of the tailstock end's foot is a little soft due to the twist. I'll check it in a few days to see of its settled any. Even if it doesn't, it's pretty darn good, plenty good enough for what I'll be doing.

I made my own leveling bolts. Seems like Amazon had the cheapest around at about $7.50 each. I built mine for about $3 each.

IMG_6568.JPG

I super-glued a rubber washer to a regular washer. Then I used a carriage bolt upside down. The heads were nice and smooth and able to pivot nicely. A nut and a washer on either side of the machine and we're all set.

First chips were made on the mill today.

IMG_6569.JPG

Nothing major or precise, but it worked great for what I needed it for. I have to pass an electrical conduit through his piece of iron. It was torch cut for a smaller connector. I made the hole larger. This was so much better than a die grinder or a torch.

I made my own leveling bolts. Seems like Amazon had the cheapest around at about $7.50 each. I built mine for about $3 each.

View attachment 136170

I super-glued a rubber washer to a regular washer. Then I used a carriage bolt upside down. The heads were nice and smooth and able to pivot nicely. A nut and a washer on either side of the machine and we're all set.
I used the same technique for my table saws, works great, only difference is I used a piece of self adhesive "ice and water shield" (for roofing) instead of the rubber washer.

First chips were made on the lathe tonight. I turned a tractor PTO shaft to clean up the sealing surfaces and to cut off the offset flange that mounts to the clutch basket. It shouldn't matter too much as this shaft doesn't turn super fast, but it's good practice to have things smooth and balanced when possible.

I'm going to try uploading some short videos from Tapatalk. Hopefully they work for y'all.

Back