Just Picked Up A Kent 4vk

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just picked up a Kent 4VK mill locally for $1000 off CL.

Has a Servo PF, Kurt power draw bar, Mitutoyo DRO. The guy said the head was noisy and didn't have time to fix it. For $1000 I just couldn't pass it up. He has 2 other small CNC mills he's running.

I'm going to go get it on Friday and take it out to Jim Dawson's place and power it up with a VFD and see just how bad the head is. And then if necessary pull the head and bring it home to work on.

After I get it fixed and home I'll sell my step pulley Bridgeport. I don't need 3 milling machines. Although having a backup mill or two couldn't hurt :)

00o0o_44A2PeeJKv7_600x450.jpg 01717_hrtHyAVu9uK_600x450.jpg 20150920_121809.jpg 20150920_122304.jpg 20150920_122310.jpg

Whoa! looks like it has full power, even on the drawbar! looks like aheckavu score. _Dan

Nice find there. You are always lucking up on good deals. Things are getting thin here.

Looks like you done good. Shoot even if you don't fix it you could part it out and make money. Or rebuild it parts should be out there. Let's see when your doing it. Yupp show us what's wrong with it and how you fixed it. See ya .

I sure hope it turns out to be a good score. I worked pretty hard trying to get it. The phone number in the ad was wrong and had to wait for them to reply to my email. They put the ad in and went on vacation for several days. But in the end I own it.

I contacted Kent USA and parts are available for it. In fact the same machine is still being made. Most of them are CNC's because they are heavier than the 3VK.

I will post and show what I find out about it. Picking it up Friday and may be able to put power to it that day. If not then I can on Saturday.

I have vacation to burn, so I may just take it and play with my new toy.

Ive found lots of deals near me but no one to get them with me. Plus when you tell people your in a wheelchair they think your scamming . But I've picked up a few even tho I had to pay more to get them here. But nothing like yours . Hurry up it's hard to wait , yupp just like a kid .

Nice score :) I noticed that the Kent Office is close to where I work :) Just let me know if you need anything picked up.

I'm like a kid with it also. Wanted to take Monday off and go get it, but then would have to work Tuesday so no time to play with it. So I'll get it Friday and play with it this weekend.

Silverbullet : If you were near me I'd be more than happy to help you get the deals you find.

Hvontress, I'll keep that in mind.

I have a Kent KLS-1340A 13x40" lathe. The parts gal at Kent USA is quite helpful and they seem to have a bunch of stuff in stock. Most Kent machines are bigger stuff, sold to industrial users, so they seem to take parts and service seriously. Still Asian stuff, but seem to be better than some others...

I'm glad to hear they are so helpful. I emailed them about one small part I need and got a very quick response.

I'm not sure what the head needs yet, I hope to get it powered up tomorrow afternoon and give it a good going over. Hopefully it doesn't need a lot. Looking forward to getting it running and moved to my place. I'm going to go pick it up in the morning and take it out to Jim Dawson's place. I can pull power off the big VFD on my CNC mill to power it up temporarily.

One of the engineers at work may be interested in buying the Bridgeport, but I'm not selling it until the Kent is in place and up and running. I'll have to buy another VFD and tool it up for the NMTB holders. I have to verify it is NMTB30 before buying anything though.

Back