• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

Just picked up this 1940 Sidney engine lathe ...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Will be posting some more on this when I get some free time. 530miles round trip with no issues. Will be leaving it covered on the trailer until i can get to it. A pic on the way home and a little info on the machine. Cheers, Mike

IMG_20200628_191530440.jpg

mksj

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking really nice, safe travels back. There is something to be said that they do not make them like they use too, I am always amazed at how well built many of these old lathes were built and all the design features we could only wish to see in new lathes. Thanks for sharing.

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Congrats. Thats the part I miss by moving here, the machine deals are far and few. Everything is a long drive. Cannot wait to see more, I was too slow on a Sidney before I moved here, and have admired them since.

NCjeeper

NC is a desert.
Very sad, sorry and pitiful...
Before I moved I found the good deals go fast. I bought my Monarch lathe from a fellow in Morganton. I found an Atlas shaper near the VA/NC state line. Got my DoAll bandsaw in Midland.

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Thanks for the comments guys. It really is built like a tank, and appears to have been very well maintained, but being 80 years old I'm sure there will be an issue or two. I really tried not to buy it, waited a full week before answering the ad, but I'm afraid it just kept calling to me, and I have to admit I'm just a sucker for a pretty face. A few more pics. Cheers, Mike

IMG_20200629_190255740.jpg IMG_20200629_190313953.jpg IMG_20200629_190331970.jpg IMG_20200629_190332409.jpg IMG_20200629_190454850.jpg

Martin W

Really nice lathe. Sweet ride too! Looks in great shape.
Cheers
Martin

Old Mud

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Nice score, looks like you won't have to worry about warping that bed. :big grin: i love old iron.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
Thanks for the comments guys. It really is built like a tank, and appears to have been very well maintained, but being 80 years old I'm sure there will be an issue or two. I really tried not to buy it, waited a full week before answering the ad, but I'm afraid it just kept calling to me, and I have to admit I'm just a sucker for a pretty face. A few more pics. Cheers, Mike

View attachment 329102 View attachment 329103 View attachment 329104 View attachment 329105 View attachment 329106
You had plenty of space on that trailer, you could have swung by and snagged the camelback DP... :grin:

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Actually picked it up just outside of Montrose, so not too far from you. The last 2.5 miles to pick it up was one of the roughest stretches of dirt road I've ever been on, and I've been on some rough ones. Cheers, Mike

Quote: He could have dropped it off here. ;)

Superburban

LOL, yea there is many places here that are far from a paved road. Where did you see it advertised?

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock