Just published a new build of TouchDRO V3.0 Beta

I'll try the new version as soon ss it's released and see if I can reproduce the bug. If you add some logging for that case then I could send you the logs in case I manage to reproduce the bug.
New build should be available now. I added an error box to that dialog, so if something breaks, you should at lest get some indication of the error (hopefully). Please let me know if you find something.
Thank you
Yuriy

I installed the new beta version and added two points in my workspace using the + button at the bottom right of the screen.

When I tried to edit one of the added point I got this validation error message (nice looking messages by the way):

Seems like it doesn't allow you to edit points with negative values for X, Y or Z however if I enter new values before saving it seem to work. Example if the current value is -1 and I change from -1 to -2 then it allows me to save. It doesn't work if I change just the decimals I have to change the whole value it seems.

I'm in metric mode and my device set to use comma as decimal separator. I don't know if that matters but thought it might be useful to know.

I installed the new beta version and added two points in my workspace using the + button at the bottom right of the screen.

When I tried to edit one of the added point I got this validation error message (nice looking messages by the way):

Seems like it doesn't allow you to edit points with negative values for X, Y or Z however if I enter new values before saving it seem to work. Example if the current value is -1 and I change from -1 to -2 then it allows me to save. It doesn't work if I change just the decimals I have to change the whole value it seems.

I'm in metric mode and my device set to use comma as decimal separator. I don't know if that matters but thought it might be useful to know.
Hm, I tried these exact numbers and it's working fine on my tablet. I wonder if the command or minus character is different in your setup. My tablet it set to English/US, so I had to manually type a comma (the parser handles both, in theory).
Does this happen with any negative number, or just when editing the sub-datum? I.e. does "Set axis dimension" dialog let you edit a negative number?

I just tried setting an axis dimension and got the same problem there. If the axis has a negative value to begin with then I can only save a new negative value by first removing the old value from the dialog. Very odd indeed.

Is there any way for me to see which type of exception that's encountered during the validaton of the values?

I just tried setting an axis dimension and got the same problem there. If the axis has a negative value to begin with then I can only save a new negative value by first removing the old value from the dialog. Very odd indeed.

Is there any way for me to see which type of exception that's encountered during the validaton of the values?
Unfortunately no, you can't see the raw exceptions.
Can you tell me what locale/language your tablet is set to?

The Samsung Tablet I'm using is set to Sweden/Swedish (if you lookup the old IllegalArumentException's in the Play Store admin interface it may show you even details about the device).

While fiddling around yesterday I somehow Touch DRO duplicatet the one point in workspace. Suddenly I had two points called "Point 2" in the list. When I deleted one of them both of them disappeared.

Could these this be some kind of issue with indexing related to the points? (I assume each point has a hidden GUID/UUID on the backend)

Do you want me to clear all the data and reinstall the app to get rid of any leftovers from the old non-beta version?

The think with duplicate names is a separate bug/missing feature. The number after "Point" is derived from the current number of points in the workspace. When you delete one, the number goes down, so you can end up with duplicate names. I have this on my "To-do" list but haven't figure out an "elegant" fix for it yet.

The parsing bug is likely not related to the fact that you upgraded from V2.5. The error happens in the parser (calculator, really). There is something funky with the number format after a round trip to the DB. In TouchDRO everything is stored in fractional microns (base unit is micron, but the data type is "double"). The conversion happens right under the UI. Since the number is accepted after you type it, but not as displayed, I suspect the formatter is spitting out a misformatted value. I.e. the "-" is a different character, there is a spurious space, etc.

As a band-aid I can force en-US formatting locale, but I'm not sure how "offensive" a decimal period will be for people who use decimal comma.

Regards
Yuriy

Wow that's a quick progress, I'm glad the you managed to track down both bugs.

I think forcing the en-US locale should be fine for most people for now as long the the UI accepts both decimal comma and period for input

Wow that's a quick progress, I'm glad the you managed to track down both bugs.

I think forcing the en-US locale should be fine for most people for now as long the the UI accepts both decimal comma and period for input
OK, it took "for ever", but I know what the problem is:
In Swedish locale the minus sign is a different character (and Android inserts a space as group separator for added bonus).
Swedish: −1 234,222
English: -1234.222

In English, the minus is character code 45, in Swedish it's 8722.

I'm posting a fix later today (forcing "ROOT" locale and no grouping separator. It should fix the issue.

Thank you for helping with this. It's a very "fun" bug...
Yuriy

Back