Just purchased a Schaublin SV-51

Norppu

Registered
Registered
I bought this cast iron monster from sweden. The price was such that it was impossible to refuse.

Schaublin.jpg

It is a Schaublin SV-51 and was made 1955. It has a bearing defect in the variator.

Unfortunately I cannot get my hands on it before my assignment here in Germany ends - and that will be next year.

I have a question for You though ... anyone have an extra copy of documentation for this machine? The language can be english, german, swedish or even finnish. I can live with the french documentation I have found and the german documentation is on it's way but still - this thing needs some paperwork. Too much is way better that too little.

So why a machine that is two years older than me ?

First of all it is seemingly and if I can trust the seller, in it's original condition. There have been no attempts to install DRO's or even CNC equipment on it. Generally this means that it has not been used for mass production. The paint is original. This means that there has been no attempts to hide defects with a layer of color. It has been cleaned but I suspect I have to take it apart and do a thorough cleaning and some sort of overhaul.

There is a good reason for the variator bearings to fail. The variator is set up of a conical disc and a ring which are then moved against each other to change the gear ratio. Input and output to this variator is done by belts. The variator itself is located in the backside of the machine behind a door and it's bearings should be given a shot of grease annually. Unfortunately the manufacturer forgot to mention this in the manual and since the machine otherwise has a central lubriucating system, the bearings were left alone with their decades old grease. I suspect I will find some 60 year old grease in there. Fortunately the bearings are of standard type and are available - even with better tolerances and material than 60 years ago.

The coolant is stored lowest in the foot. This container is probably filled with all sorts of gunk. There is an electrical pump for the coolant.

The milling head is quite versatile. It can be turned 360 degrees around the "piston" and little bit more than 180 degrees the other way. The "piston" can be moved in/out and if horizontal milling is required then the piston is pushed all the way in along with the head itself which then registers itself on the "cylinder". The cylinder has predefined positions every 15 degrees but it can also be locket at any desired position. Talking about ramming the mill .... :)

In case You want to read more about this machine, there is a page in lathes.co.uk.

I really look forward to get my hands on this mill.

that is a seriously cool looking mill - crazy stout in a pretty small package! Any idea what it weighs?

What a huge hunk of iron.
Over 60 years old and made with Swiss qualtity, wow. It ought'a be a good one. Sure looks like it.

I believe I read it's 1000kg or 2200 lbs- it's the "baby"
Norppu: did you get the horizontal arbor support/arbor with it?
Mark

That is a beautiful machine sir.
That baby has not been abused.

Back