Just replaced my 4x6 bandsaw

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The little griz has done well for the last few years, but I need something that has a slightly larger capacity, but doesn't have too much larger space and power requirements.

So I just received my new griz 6 1/2 x 10 bandsaw. Wanted geared head, but the 7x12 was just too much. I'll post impressions once I get it set up and have made a few cuts with it.

This is my first bandsaw with coolant capability. Suggestions as to what coolant to use?

I use Lennox Saw Master Synthetic fluid in my 9 x 12. I really like it. I have a bucket of saw blade chips that's over a year old. The chips go into the bucket wet, but there's no sign of rust.

Thanks Mike, will look that cutting fluid up.

Brooks: I'm not in Tucson. Ended up in Hereford (just South of Sierra Vista), AZ. Closer to Tombstone. Kinda out in the sticks compared to Tucson, but 10 deg. cooler and mountain breezes make up for that. I will get pics up later this weekend. Had a new computer desk for the den show up today. I get to spend tomorrow putting the thing together. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Congrats on the new saw but yeah, we need pics!

I've always wondered the same thing, I never hooked up the collant on my saw or other machines cause I'm not sure what to do about it going rancid. I wouldn't be using coolant daily or very often. Is there stuff these days that will last long without going rancid if not circulated very often?

That is an excellent question? Guys?

I've had the same batch of Saw Master in the tank for two years. When the pump starts sending bubbly liquid up the tube, I add another gallon or so of water. Since I don't spill much, most of the volume loss is due to evaporation. This batch has maintained it's good properties for that whole time. And no rancid smell.

Got the saw uncrated and set up today. I'll check blade alignment another day.

First off, the saw was very well packaged and protected. I'm used to seeing this kind of care taken by Matt and the boys at PM, but typically not for items I purchase from Grizzly. The difference may very well be that this saw is made and crated in Taiwan.

Other than removing a shipping strap and unbolting the saw from the pallet there was no assembly required. Fit and finish appear to be very good at first glance as well. Ok, on to some pics...

IMG_0932.jpg
IMG_0933.jpg

Like I said, nice packaging. I found this piece in the pan just below the vise. Looks to be a test piece? There was a small amount of cutting chips and fluid/oil on the machine as well. The test cut piece was dirty and had burrs on it so I cleaned it up and measured it at four points with a mic. Just over a thou variance across four points. Wow. Wasn't expecting that. :)
IMG_0934.jpg

These last two are where the saw is going to reside in my garage. One, pulled out to work, the other stowed out of the way.
IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg

It doesn't take up too much room, but man, I should have bought this thing a couple of years ago when I first saw it (no pun intended). I love the hydraulic feed, and geared speed changes. The quick release vise was a pleasant surprise as well. Once I figured out what it was. At first I though the thing was broken.

And I'm glad I didn't second guess myself and get a larger one. This will cut everything I need to cut, and at 270lbs. it was about all I could do to pick it up off the pallet. This getting old(er) stuff is no fun.

There, you guys happy now? ;) :D

Back