Just Showing Off My Printer

everyone likes action shots right? Enjoy that depth of cut!
20170108_115920_zpsbucoobk7.jpg

My brother liked it so much he wanted a set. All done short of drilling and tapping everything. Figure I'll make him do a bit of the work, haha.
20170108_150339_zpsqchvwm5w.jpg

making more progress. Made some filament guides to hold the filament straight as it enters the drive gears regardless of how bent it is.:
20170115_182806_zps3kppjzo8.jpg

also made a completely overbuilt mount for the new IR sensor that i'm using for the z axis limit switch/bed leveling system:
20170115_173014_zpsem0jynu7.jpg

and installed:
IMG_20170115_183611_371_zps5ht4fv5e.jpg

thanks guys.

I could plug everything in right now, and it would function on a single (left) head. I still need to make the bearing arm for the right hand extruder before it will function well, but past that it's just software configuration.

Very nice.
Just curious what type of CNC mill you are using?
Robert

Hey Robert,
It's a PM45 that I converted to cnc looooong before they offered a CNC version.

So updates on this printer. I've been using it since I got everything "finished" (like any good project it's never really finished). The dual extrudes have been a PAIN to work with. It's nearly impossible with my current configuration to get the two heads even at the tip. Even after shimming and getting it right, as soon as you change out the nozzle(s) it's thrown out again. So back to the drawing board! And while I'm at it i've decided that I hate the motors being mounted on the head. Not only do I have to slow the printer down to accommodate for the added weight, they chew into my usable print area by sticking out so far. So the next logical choice is a bowden set-up....oh heck no! Nina flex is still one of my favorite filaments to play around with and that's just not going to happen with a bowden. So I'm embarking on a journey that few had ventured so far...a flexible drive cable. And I know what you're thinking already, "what about torque flex in the cable?" Excellent question Gary. I'm going to attempt to mitigate the flex by using a worm gear at the drive end. I 'm hoping that any flex that does happen will result in so little movement at the extruder gear that It will be inconsequential. But only time will tell, so stay tuned for the next leg of the the Gli3DR build as she goes under the knife yet again!

Slowly making progress. Machined out the first side mount for the flex drive. I also sacrificed one of my cheap dremel flex cables for the prototype. Still need to make a clamping bracket for the outer cable sheathing. and everything for the motor side of things.
20170910_220544.jpg

20170910_220551.jpg

Got the cable shield attached and the extruder mounted up. Its looking fairly promising at this point, but the proof is in the printing!
20170913_230853.jpg

Made some progress over the weekend. Made a new adapter plate to mount the new extruder mounts to the x axis head. I also got the lever arm that pinches the filament against the drive wheel made up. Still need to make the mount for the other extruder, but i think i may get this side up and running first before expending the effort. And as a bonus, the new adapter plate give me another .5" or so of z height.

20170916_183157.jpg

You cans also see my easy height adjustment that I've incorporated into this design. The idea being I can home the z axis and then use a gauge block under the nozzle to set the probe height repeatably every time between both sides. There is a boss on the back side of the mount that fits tightly into the slot in the adapter plate so even when i adjust the height everything stays nice and square to the table.

Last edited:
I am building a corexy now... I think that corexy machines are superior to h-bots.... I tried flex drives but didn't care for it, not to mention it makes designing an enclosure more difficult... maybe keep your original design w/ pancake steppers to gain more y...

Back