Just started reconditioning a pretty decent 101.07301 have some questions for the experienced!

After reviewing the responses here, and much additional pouring over manuals with the table of parts I have, I think I have a decent list of items to order. Not much to get it spinning, but Im missing a number of tailstock internals, and some other bits and pieces not crucial, but want to haves...

to get the lathe running, I'm going to replace the 2 sleeve and 1 thrust spindle bearings. in my email request to the nice lady at Clausing, I've added 4 of the M6-255 fiber/paper shim washers, so I will have them if needed.

going thru all the parts, I <think> Im missing one of the M6-165 gear spacers, but Im not sure what is the M6-165, and what is the M6-33 bushing. attached is a pic of these parts, marked with the items Im not sure about. Believe I have them laid out as the 33 bushings are with the tumbler gears, and the 165 spacers I have (2 of 3) are with the stack of gears...am I on target here?

highlightedtumblerchangegearleadscrewparts.jpg

all the responses are hugely appreciated - I hope to be able to contribute more after I get the lathe running, and become familiar with it, to help the community

I don't know what the brass bracket is but it isn't a part of the basic lathe. The steel bar with rod sticking out of one end could just be a straight edge, with the rod for a handle. Although what you would use it for with the lathe I don't know.

If the paper washers fit the M6-250 back gear shaft, they are probably the M6-255 Washer. Which serve as shims. They would go between the collars and the back gear assembly. The 1950 618 parts list shows two of them, one at either end of the back gear and calls them Fiber Washer. The 1945 version only shows one and calls it a Washer. If you haven't already done it, download the 1945 and the 1950 618 manuals from Downloads. The 1945 version includes the lathe and countershaft mounting drawing. And shows the motor mounted up next to the countershaft bracket with the pulleys on the left end. However, although I cannot find it in your photo, your countershaft bracket is probably much shorter than the Type 3 shown in those two parts manuals. So after bolting down the lathe bed, temporarily position the countershaft where the 618 and 101.21400 drawings call for and make sure that the belts all fit before drilling the holes.

I've highlighted the countershaft assembly parts in the attached picture, if that helps (extreme right side of image). Im not going to get a chance to go near it until Friday/Saturday, so I don't know which specific part number it is.countershaftassemblyhighlighted.jpg

I have a line on a decent, unchipped Spindle Cone Pulley, but Im not sure what matters:

Im told they are the same between Mk1 and Mk2 lathes, and perhaps only the bushings are different?
If this is the case, how hard is it to replace them? I know these pulleys are relatively delicate - is it worth it to try a bushing replacement, if needed?

M6-165 is a steel gear spacer. It has the same double-keyed bore as do all of the change gears. Two originally came with the machine. One is always used on the left end of the lead screw, so that the single gear used there can be positioned in either the back (B) or front (F) position in order to mesh with the previous gear. One is used in place of a gear whenever an actual gear is not needed in either the B or F position.

The two parts circled in red might be M6-33 Tumbler Gear Bushing.

The casting at the bottom of the light blue encircled area is L9-20A Countershaft Bracket. I do not see the M6-21 Countershaft Hanger in your photos.

The spindle or cone pulley is not the same on the so-called (Clausing didn't AFAIK call the various 6" machines by anything except their model numbers) MK1 or MK2. For one thing, the MK1's used 3/8" belts and the MK2's used 1/4". For another, the MK2's did not achieve back gear operation in the same way as the MK1's.

Well, it could be. Never having seen one of the brackets, and only having a side view small scale line drawing of the bracket and the hanger, I don't really know what they should look like at 90 degrees from the plane of the parts outline drawings in the very brief 101.07301 manuals.

Well, it could be. Never having seen one of the brackets, and only having a side view small scale line drawing of the bracket and the hanger, I don't really know what they should look like at 90 degrees from the plane of the parts outline drawings in the very brief 101.07301 manuals.
I'm going to swing by there later today or tomorrow, so I'll post some close ups of the countershaft assembly stuff, articulate it a bit to see angles, etc.

haven't been able to swing by the machine yet, but my brother was able to snap a picture for me
L9-20A, and M6-21.

I'll get some better ones this weekend.

20191226_150336_001.jpg

OK. That's seven (counting the two shaft collars as two and the two countershaft spindle bushings as two) countershaft parts accounted for.

Back