Just started reconditioning a pretty decent 101.07301 have some questions for the experienced!

The only thing left, before mounting/leveling, is the headstock.

I have the new sleeve and thrust bearings for the spindle, and found a replacement for the spindle cone pulley that is in very good shape. and I have the sleeves for that as well. interesting that it appears the largest sheave is about 3/32" diameter smaller than the original...

I've purposely not checked any clearance/fitment issues, as the new INA D-5 bearing from Clausing is significantly thicker than the original Nice 5774 bearing (see earlier post in the thread).

that way, I had the rest of it done, and any problems don't sit in my head...not much room in there as it is...

Attachments

• 20200115_221618.jpg
    20200115_221618.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
one question I've got for you 618/101 owners - on the underside of the carriage, in the front on the apron, we have the half-nut engage/disengage lever. On the underside of the apron below that lever (actually, the half-nut cam (M6-38)), is a hole for a 3/16" ball (p/n: 9-210), pressed in by a small spring (9-61). These are to provide detents for the lever at each end of travel, I surmise.

The hole they go up into is threaded, and I'm missing that item. is it a set screw? some type of round head/fillister head screw? and what are the dimensions?
#10-24 x 1/2"? 1/4"-20 x 3/8"
Yes, [a 3/16" ball and] really short spring and screw, 1/4-20 IIRC

Last edited:
that gear lube is every bit as gooey and sticky as I thought it would be. thank god for disposable rubber gloves.
I have no doubt someone will be along shortly to point out that grease on the change gears will trap chips and "swarf" and thusly wear out the gears. Though I don't know what they'll recommend using. I just slather them liberally with 20wt.

I have never actually seen one of the 6" carriages taken apart but according to the 3950 parts list (first one that shows the screw), the screw is 1/4"-20 x 3/16" Headless Cup Point. It doesn't say slotted or Allen but Atlas would probably have used a slotted. However, Allen will work as well.

Also, Atlas always recommended grease for any of the open gearing. And SAE 20 everywhere else. Oil also holds swarf. And so long as you don't normally operate the machine with the gear or belt covers open, swarf won't get into the gears.

Last edited:
I've got a 1/4"-20 × 3/16" stainless headless screw in there now. And wouldn't you know it, I found what looks like a 1/4"-20 × 3/32" slotted headless screw that i thought was smaller...and nothing else is missing a screw.

so that's what they must have had holding the half-nut engagement lever cam detent spring & ball. woof that's a mouthful.

I've going to keep the grease on the open gears until I find a strong reason not to, but I understand the concern.

I'm hoping to head up to Penn. in the snow tomorrow to check out the cabin fever expo, so I'm on hold until Sunday.

My target milestone is to have the headstock assembled and hopefully the lathe mounted and leveled before I go to bed on Sunday.

I have never actually seen one of the 6" carriages taken apart but according to the 3950 parts list (first one that shows the screw), the screw is 1/4"-20 x 3/16" Headless Cup Point. It doesn't say slotted or Allen but Atlas would probably have used a slotted. However, Allen will work as well.

Also, Atlas always recommended grease for any of the open gearing. And SAE 20 everywhere else. Oil also holds swarf. And so long as you don't normally operate the machine with the gear or belt covers open, swarf won't get into the gears.
I'm missing the grove pin for the countershaft rocker shaft. Specifically, the pin NOT at the handle end (which appears to be shorter and smaller in diameter. I've looked through a lot of manuals, can't find what Im looking for.

I was thinking about trying different size drills or transfer punches, to try and estimate what a good diameter would be...

anybody have any suggestions?

Back