Just started reconditioning a pretty decent 101.07301 have some questions for the experienced!

OK. Thanks. Or maybe two photos, one slightly to the right and one slightly to the left of center.

The back gear assembly as far as I can tell, and most of the rest of the lathe outside of the headstock and the countershaft bracket is exactly the same as the 618. Exceptions that I know of so far are the countershaft bracket, for some unknown reason the lead screw, and a few other parts around and about. If you look in downloads, and get the 101.07301 parts manual and the 1950 dated 618 manual and compare them, you will see what I mean. If the part number on the Craftsman list begins with an "L" and a digit, it is somehow different. If it begins with M6, it is the same.

Which reminds me, if you or anyone else has occasion to have the lead screw off of either a 618 or a 101.07301, measure the LOA and the length from the left end to the left face of the collar and report it here.

Back to the back gears, it would appear that the correct location for the two M6-255 Fiber Washers is on on each end of the gear, between the collar and the gear.

Last edited:
OK. Thanks. Or maybe two photos, one slightly to the right and one slightly to the left of center.

Which reminds me, if you or anyone else has occasion to have the lead screw off of either a 618 or a 101.07301, measure the LOA and the length from the left end to the left face of the collar and report it here.
Maybe these will help. Just used a tape measure on the lead screw.

Attachments

• Resized_20200214_064320.jpeg.jpg
    Resized_20200214_064320.jpeg.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Resized_20200214_064326.jpeg.jpg
    Resized_20200214_064326.jpeg.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 12
  • Resized_20200214_064238.jpeg - Copy.jpg
    Resized_20200214_064238.jpeg - Copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
doing a great job! I rebuilt one of those before I got my 618. The thrust bearing can be rebuilt - I carefully pried the dust shield off of mine, flushed out the old grease and repacked it. Felt just fine to me, though I'm doubting you'd want to push the spindle out a second time :)

For setting the bull gear to spindle pulley gap, a piece of printer paper does the trick, that's about 4 thou give or take. Then rotate the spindle pulley without the bull gear pin engaged to check for any rubbing. There are 4 spots in the spindle pulley the pin can go in, make sure it's all the way in or it can damage the pulley.

I like my 618 a great deal and would have been more than happy to have the 301 instead if the 618 hadn't of shown up for a good price.

are the compounds on a 101 and 109 the same i am having trouble locating one for a 101 ebay is full of 109s right now

109 is the Sears Contractor Code for AA, sometimes known as Double-A. 101 is the code for Atlas and later Clausing. I won't say that no 109 part can be used on any 101 built lathe but I would say that I would be at least mildly surprised to learn that any could. Since you mentioned AA I assume that you must have a 6". There were several 6" models made by Atlas and later Clausing beginning with the 618 and briefly the 612. And later several MK-2 models. I think that most of the Compound will interchange. You will have to become a Doner in order to actually download the files but the parts drawings for most of the 6" machines are in Downloads.

Last edited:
awesome thank you for the information its really helpful

I have a 101.07301 my dad was given many years ago I am trying to get going to make small projects just got the lathe bed all cleaned up and moving freely pieces i need are top swivel tool rest and post counter shaft and motor Im probably going to give the donation i would realy like all those drawings

Back