Just To Say Hello From Canada And Also To Ask A Quick Question

Ken, you might also want to try Busy Bee or KBC here in Canada.
KBC certainly has a higher grade of tools than either Busy Bee or Princess Auto.

Thanks Jim, KBC is alright, they do have some different stuff ,I do check them out every once in awhile but never bought anything from them yet,I'm sure that will change soon though;)
A member from another site suggested to cut my own parallels by purchasing a 3 foot bar of machined /tooling stock, it is a neat idea since I could get different thicknesses like 1/4" and 3/8" and cut them all to the length I need , the problem is there isn't many machine shops around who sells the machined flat bars.

Ken you can get flat stock to cut up through KBC but none of the ground flat stock you buy from them or others like McMasterCarr will be of the same accuracy as an actual set of parallels. Because the parallels are the base for a lot of your work I would look at one of the suppliers like CDCO or LMS to buy a set of 1/8" X 6".

Looks good. You'll be happier with them than ground stock.
Have fun with them.

I have those. They're alright by me. And I agree with Jim: You'll be happier with them than ground stock.

Thanks guys,Today for the first time I wished I had the parallels already,I was setting up my vise on the mill and needed a straight bar in the vise to verify if it was square to the table (like jim had mentioned),I ended up using a try square, not that it mattered that much , I was just playing with the new toy:D

Jim ,The link doesn't seem to work, it does take me to site but I don't know where to click to see the video:confused 3:.
Anyhow I was going to use a test indicator against the 6" parallel and move the X table left to right(or R to L), tap the vise (held with one screw slightly loose so it can pivot) until I see no discernible movement with the dial. how does that sound?
Thanks BTW for the link/help.

That is exactly the process that Tom shows.
His site is actually very good for instructional videos.
The vise video is in the Milling area.

Back