K.O. Lee cutter grinder spindle disassembly

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a K.O. Lee BA960BB tool and cutter grinder that I've owner for 6 years.
It's spindle is suddenly very noisy. It is stamped B955A on one end of the outer housing.
I'm attempting disassembly and have gotten to where I can see the bearing on the pulley (drive end).
The cap over the bearings threads off with a pin spanner and there is one thin shim under the nut. No snap rings on the shaft or on od of bearing on this end.

Anyone know if the shaft should just press towards the other end?
The opposite end does have a shallow groove around the outside, but looks too shallow to be a pulling area.

Probably not any help, but I changed bearings in my K.O.Lee surface grinder in 2008 and noted how it came apart in a thread on PM. Here's what I wrote:

"
My spindle most likely is different in some respects but here's how it went. After removing the wheel and hub in the front and the motor pulley and pulley spacer in the rear I was left with two spanner hubs on either end of the spindle.
I removed the two hubs and was left with seeing the spindle sticking out of bearings front and back. The bad news was that the bearings were stuck pretty well. I used a brass hammer to tap the spindle from the back towards the front of the machine. The first bearing (closest to the wheel) was obviously bad and clicked when it spun. I had 4 bearings in total, two in each end of the spindle. Once the front bearings were removed I found a snap ring inside the front bore that would have kept the bearings from being tapped towards the back. I removed the ring and proceded to move the shaft towards the front. I probably could've/should've sent the shaft towards the back at that point, but it worked.

I took a piece of black pipe and turned it on the lathe to fit over the spindle and contact the inner race of the new bearings. After cleaning everything I put the front bearings on the spindle first, reinstalled the snap ring and inserted the spindle and finger tightened the spanner nut. I put the rear bearings onto the spindle while it was in the machine using the pipe and brass hammer to tap them into place. Then it was just a matter of replacing the rear spanner nut, tightening them to remove all end play and putting everything else I removed back. "

Probably not any help, but I changed bearings in my K.O.Lee surface grinder in 2008 and noted how it came apart in a thread on PM. Here's what I wrote:

I did lots of searching and ran across your post a few times. That's what has me thinking that the wheel end may be snap ringed.
Since the drive end has the nut and shim I guess it would make sense that the other end has an outer snap ring for the bearings?
But that would mean the flange on the wheel end would be a seperate piece and since it already has a taper adapter I didn't think it would have two press fits.
Looking at it again it appears that the outer wheel is a press fit over the spindle shaft or possibly threaded (no visible threads) So it is possibly
just a shield?
Going to have to machine a split clamp to pull it, unless the shaft can be pushed towards the drive end causing the shield to be pressed off?
I guess that would depend on if there is a snap ring on the shaft also and if so if the bearings can move into the housing a 1/2" or so?

Got it.
Sure enough that end piece is a shield/cover.
The shaft can be pressed out of it towards the drive side.
There is a nut same as other end, but under it is 2 bevel spring washers.
Single bearing on each end. Surprises me, but it is just a tool/cutter machine not a surface grinder.

Thanks so much for the replies and help!!!

lightly greased on the shaft in the center.
The only gease there is is in the end/screw caps.
The machine has a number 7327-7-60 on it. Not sure if that's a year but if so I guess that grease did it's job.

Drive end bearing stops against an outer snap ring and the wheel side installs against a recess.
I'll have to check those links you sent to see if that is original or not.

Drive end bearing stops against an outer snap ring and the wheel side installs against a recess.

I was wrong about that wheel side bearing. It does not go into a recess. It is a light press fit into the housing and the housing is able to
take two bearings and there is a snap ring groove at the two bearing depth.
The spindle shaft can only take one bearing, so the two bearing set up was for some other application/spindle.

Did you resolve the noisy bearings? If so, how?
Thanks

Got it.
Sure enough that end piece is a shield/cover.
The shaft can be pressed out of it towards the drive side.
There is a nut same as other end, but under it is 2 bevel spring washers.
Single bearing on each end. Surprises me, but it is just a tool/cutter machine not a surface grinder.

Thanks so much for the replies and help!!!

lightly greased on the shaft in the center.
The only gease there is is in the end/screw caps.
The machine has a number 7327-7-60 on it. Not sure if that's a year but if so I guess that grease did it's job.

I'll have to check those links you sent to see if that is original or not.

View attachment 287001
Can you share the bearing part numbers? I need to replace the bearings in my B955A Spindle and would like to order them before i disassemble everything.
Did you replace your bearings, or how did you fix the noisy spindle?
Thanks

Back