K O Lee grinder question

DeantheBeekeeper

Registered
Registered
I have a KO Lee grinder. I use it to sharpen cutter wheels used for cutting sheetmetal. Forgive me but I do not know the accessory that sits on the table that the chuck is attached to. Regardless, I'd like to replace the chuck with a collet system. I have seen pictures that lead me to believe that this was an option. Question 1 is, is this an factory option, meaning I don't want to do a bunch of fabricating. Are there factory made parts available to make this conversion? Second question, how do I remove the spindle that the chuck is screwed on to? Thanks, Dean

grinder1.jpeg

Yes, there is an available factory collet nose that seats in the workhead, the drawbar that holds the chuck MAY serve to pull the collet in as well, the collet nose takes 5C collets. The handwheel in the back of the workhead retains the chuck when you unscrew it.

I've tried unscrewing it several times but because I wasn't sure, I didn't put my all into it. I'll try again. Thanks

I tried to get it apart again today. It will turn about a half a turn without a problem, then it starts to get tight. I cranked on it and wacked it a few times with a brass drift and a hammer. It's not letting go. What if I put some heat down the ID of the spindle?

I tried to get it apart again today. It will turn about a half a turn without a problem, then it starts to get tight. I cranked on it and wacked it a few times with a brass drift and a hammer. It's not letting go. What if I put some heat down the ID of the spindle?
I would not do that, if I were you; I wonder if you could get some advice from the maker?

Hard to tell from your picture. The factory chuck adapters I have, have a short No. 11 B & S taper on them. And has a flange that the chuck monts to.
if someone has tighten the crap out of the adapter, you only choice maybe to cut the adapter out if it's home made. The factory one is harden.
If that is the actual 5C collet adapter installed and the chuck is mounted to it, it should come right out.

You can't take apart the work head without getting the adapters out of the spindle first, with the way it's put together. I know, I've taken mine apart when I received it to replace the bearing in it.

Back