K&T 2HL Plain Rehab

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I acquired a K&T 2HL Plain earlier this year. Operationally, it was in fairly good state, just had a stuck power feed lever for the saddle. But it had a really terrible paint job. I've been spending some time disassembling, inspecting, cleaning and repainting it. I've published a couple videos on what I did. I am no machinery rebuilder. Just a hobbyist that likes to learn new things.

Here are the first few.

Hello,
I'm a bit surprised that you haven't had any other replies so far.

I've watched your first two videos, about removing and refreshing the motor, and I have some comments that I hope you will find constructive. First, it's obvious that you want to do a thorough job of cleaning everything up and I presume you would like the machine to be ready for many decades of good service. Longevity is all about the details.

It troubled me to see you using a steel chisel to coerce the end bells off of the motor. Although you spoke of being gentle, the video seemed to show blows certainly capable of displacing metal. My concern is whether any of that displaced metal will interfere with the precision alignment of the end bells (shaft and bearings) at final assembly. I didn't notice you mention that you had inspected the surfaces and dressed any damage. Your method of coercion was particularly unfortunate given that you have access to tapped holes around the bearing hub of each end bell. Steering wheel pullers are inexpensive (can be borrowed at many auto parts stores) and seem perfect for the job (no hammer/chisel required). You'd probably have to supply your own fasteners of proper length and thread to engage the end bells.

Also, it seems you are under the impression that 100% is the proper grease fill. Bearing experts advise otherwise. In the linked guide you can find information and a formula for determining % of grease fill.

Watched every one of those videos as they've come out.
Really well made videos and the contents are invaluable for anyone with a similar mill.
Will be of great use whenever I finally have time to overhaul my 2HL universal.

Got the table off the K&T this week. Back to making some progress.

Back