K&T 2HL vertical

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a k&t 2HL with rotating vertical head. I would like to change the oil wicks in the saddle. Mine are kind of disintegrated. Can I use wool? Right now there is a big jumbled tangle that goes into two copper tubes. I assume the tangled bits soak up more oil to wick into the tubes? This machine is new to me and I want to make sure the saddle is lubricated properly.
Any pointers for this machine would be appreciated. Seems to be in extraordinary condition. Has a 40 taper and a 10”x 40” table. All of the feeds and speeds work as well as the rapid traverses. There are a couple gouges in the table . It came with boxes of end mills, slitting saws, collets etc. I will try to post some pictures this week when I’m back in the shop
Thanks
Martin

Now you're making me jealous!

We've got a 2HL Universal, but it came with an arbor and that's about it. No tooling, we've had to source all of that since, and no vertical head.

What it did come with, though, was plenty of documentation. I think maybe even the original manuals. (They're old, anyway.) I'll have a look and see if I have anything that converts what you're looking for.

Also, the documentation is available for download on Keith Rucker's site - vintage machinery.org

Cheers,... Jon.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

IT's a shame you can't order from McMaster-Carr. They have the round wick felt in various diameters up to about 1/2". They sell it by the foot. I keep a foot or two on hand just for wicking where its needed.

Jonno, I have downloaded the specs and lubrication manuals from Vintage Machinery.
Ken, I am close enough to the USA border that I can have Mcmaster Carr ship to my Post office box and UPS drop off in Niagara Falls NY.
Thanks
Martin

Back